categories - Category Theory list
From: Jeff Egger <jeffegger@yahoo.ca>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: The division lattice as a category:  is 0 prime?
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:59:41 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

--- Vaughan Pratt <pratt@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:

> I arrived at all this after Steve Vickers mentioned on the univalg
> mailing list that ring theorists define 0 to be a prime number because
> then they could define n to be prime just when the ring Z/nZ extends to
> a field.

Um, well, for arbitrary ideals I in a commutative ring R, R/I "extends to
a field" (or, in more common parlance, "is an integral domain") if and only
if I is a prime ideal; hence the previous assertion can be simplified to

  ring theorists define 0 to be a prime number because
  then they could define n to be prime just when nZ is a prime ideal.

which doesn't seem so unreasonable.

> This got me to wondering how this could be reflected in the
> division lattice, which has 0 at the top without however being
> considered a prime.  I personally am too old to believe that 0 is a
> prime, but I can see where a younger generation could be hoodwinked.

And I thought that every generation since Dedekind, Krull and Noether
knew that divisibility lattices are (in the general case) a red herring
and that it is the lattice of ideals of a ring (or its opposite, if you
prefer) which is really important.  Surely, it makes sense to fix
terminology according to what does work in the general case.

> Even with the above understanding however I don't see how 0 can be
> understood as just another ordinary prime, any more than bottom is just
> another ordinary number in N_*.

Although 0 can be a prime (depending on the ring under consideration),
it is plainly never "just another ordinary prime": there is a well-known
topology on the set of prime ideals of a commutative ring which clearly
distinguishes 0 from its fellows.  Perhaps the answer to your original
question is to take (finite-valued) sheaves on this space of primes,
although I don't really understand your motivation.

Cheers,
Jeff Egger.

      Get news delivered with the All new Yahoo! Mail.  Enjoy RSS feeds right on your Mail page. Start today at http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca