categories - Category Theory list
From: Bill Lawvere <wlawvere@buffalo.edu>
To: categories list <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: The division lattice as a category:  is 0 prime?
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 10:49:33 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

Vaughn remarks
...........I would have thought intersecting them could only get you the
square-free ideals........

Indeed, as Jeff points out, we learned from Kummer and Dedekind to replace
elements by ideals, but we categorists have been late in providing a clear
account of this transition and, in particular, of the reason why the
result is  not primarily a lattice, but a monoidal closed category with
colimits.

Below I will elaborate on the following three points:

(1) The actual "ideal number" functor itself is clear enough (though never
made explicit), but why should it exist?

(2) The standard account of "why" is very categorical, but does not
directly address the algebraic category of rings nor the geometry of
intersection theory.

(3) The universal algebraists have developed a tool that might be applied
to the "why", but for some reason the universality is not often applied to
algebra or to geometry.

In more detail:

(1) The Kummer functor I goes from rigs (or K-rigs, where K is given, e.g.
Z or Q) to 2-rigs, where 2 is the 2-element rig in which 1+1=1. (Yes, the
rig that launched ring theory is not itself a ring). The functorality, as
well as the multiplication itself, depends on the set-theoretic operation
of image. The principal ideal concept is a natural transformation from M
to MI where M is the underlying multiplication.

(2) A rig can serve (not only as functions on a scheme but) as an abstract
general whose semantically corresponding concrete general is its category
of modules, which is a monoidal closed category with colimits. This
2-functor can be composed with the functor to posets that extracts from
the big category of modules just the submodules of the unit object. Again,
the image operation must in general be applied to the result of tensoring
two submodules (because of the lack of flatness). A monoidal poset with
colimits is also a 2-rig.

(3) Intersecting closed subspaces of a space may give only a shadow of a
description of their clash (e.g. the clash of Africa & Europe produces a
bulge i.e. the Alps). Although geometric figures are in general singular,
a notion of closed subspace which refines the notion of mere subset
provides a useful partial record.
In terms of the rigs of variable quantity on the spaces there is a
corresponding refinement:
The distributive lattice of radical ideals is refined to the monoidal
poset of all ideals. The ideal product under discussion is a key
ingredient in a construction of unions of subspaces that takes into
account the clashes. As it would be desirable geometrically to see even
nonsingular figures as images of maps in the category of spaces itself, it
would dually be desirable to see R/ab as the result of a construction on
R/a and R/b within the category of K-rigs itself, without the detour (2)
through modules. At least the case where K is a ring is indeed covered in
principle by a construction called the "commutator" (a misleadingly
particular "general terminology", ....groups are apparently not a typical
algebraic category). That this construction does reduce to a certain
concatenation of limits and colimits has been shown by categorists in
terms of congruence relations.

But the application to rings and ideals still remains to be done.

Bill

F. William Lawvere, Professor emeritus
Mathematics Department, State University of New York
244 Mathematics Building, Buffalo, N.Y. 14260-2900 USA
Tel. 716-645-6284
HOMEPAGE:  http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~wlawvere