categories - Category Theory list
From: wlawvere@buffalo.edu
To: categories list <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Ideal Theory 101 [was: is 0 prime?]
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 20:47:32 -0400	[thread overview]

The awesome nature of Sup cannot be the reason why
the Kummer functor exists, since it is merely used for=20
recording the result. The functor is "caused" rather=20
by an internal feature of the domain category C of=20
commutative rings:  The category of quotient objects
of any given R has a binary operation * that is neither
sup nor inf even though in principle it can be=20
expressed as a combination of limits and colimits.
We can call it R/ab=3DR/a *R/b but how does the=20
operation * specialize to C concretely ?

Bill