categories - Category Theory list
From: Lutz Schroeder <Lutz.Schroeder@dfki.de>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: locally cartesian closed categories
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 09:34:19 +0200	[thread overview]

> I agree with Jean Benabou, Fred Linton and Vaughan Pratt that the
> definition of a locally cartesian closed category should NOT require
> a terminal object.

[...]

> I confess that I'm a bit surprised to find that the consensus agrees
> with me, so to set matters straight I should also point out that my
> argument applies equally to elementary toposes and other familiar
> structures of categorical logic.

Such as cartesian closed categories, for instance. I would like to take
the opportunity to point to my paper "Life without the terminal type" in
CSL 2001, where I prove that every "almost" cartesian category, i.e. one
without a terminal object, extends uniquely to a cartesian closed
category with terminal object. There is also a similar result for
toposes; the wording is not quite as straightforward as for cartesian
closed categories, as one has to formulate (say) the definition of a
subobject classifier without reference to a global element True. I
recall having thought about locally cartesian closed categories as well,
but I do not think I really got anywhere (and actually I just see
there's a remark in the paper that says as much).

Lutz Schröder

PD Dr. Lutz Schröder                  office @ Universität Bremen:
Senior Researcher                     Cartesium 2.051
Safe and Secure Cognitive Systems     Enrique-Schmidt-Str. 5
DFKI-Lab Bremen                       FB3 Mathematik - Informatik
Robert-Hooke-Str. 5                   Universität Bremen
D-28359 Bremen                        P.O. Box 330 440
                                      D-28334 Bremen
phone: (+49) 421-218-64216            Fax:   (+49) 421-218-9864216
mail: Lutz.Schroeder@dfki,de
www.dfki.de/sks/staff/lschrode

Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz GmbH
Firmensitz: Trippstadter Strasse 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern

Geschäftsführung:
Dr. Walter Olthoff

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes