categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Re: "role" vs. "r\^ole"
@ 2007-10-10 21:39 Michael Barr
From: Michael Barr @ 2007-10-10 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories List

Let me tell you a (slightly) amusing story.  Beno Eckmann warned me that
all librarians would hate me if I called it "$*$-Autonomous Categories".
I saw his point immediately and had every intention of changing it.  But
in the process of getting it typed and so on, I just plain forgot.  So
although I do object to *-autonomous (without the dollar signs that put it
on the line), I would have no problem with star-autonomous.

On ne saurait penser a tout, as they say on some obscure langauge.

Michael

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Dusko Pavlovic wrote:

> yes, that is an interesting question. in fact, i have a similar question
> about the words star and dagger. although they are perfectly acceptable
> english words on their own, in the context of categories we write
> *-autonomous and %-compact, even in the titles, where star-autonomous and
> dagger-compact would say the same, just look easier to pronounce.
>
> but then again, with my name and surname gaining and losing accents as i
> go, maybe i should not ask such questions.
>
> -- du$ko

only message in thread, other threads:[~2007-10-10 21:39 UTC | newest]