categories - Category Theory list
From: "Marta Bunge" <martabunge@hotmail.com>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: RE: connectedness
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 19:44:37 -0400	[thread overview]

Dear Paul,

In the following (private) response to Vaughan, I cleared up a couple of
points from my previous posting. I reproduce it here publicly since those
points may be relevant to some of the things you wrote. But I really have
nothing else to say (at the moment) so no need to reply.

Best regards,
Marta

>From: "Marta Bunge" <martabunge@hotmail.com>
>To: rrosebrugh@mta.ca
>CC: pratt@cs.stanford.edu
>Subject: On the connectedness condition
>Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 06:16:49 -0400
>
>Dear Robert,
>
>I think that I have expanded enough in my response to Vaughan that you
>already posted. There was a slight hitch in it, but on the whole is what I
>intended to say. I would leave it at that. In any case I am sending this
>cc. to Vaughan.
>
>The hitch is that only in the `at most' part in the definition of
>`abstractly exclusively unary
>' can one reduce the case to coproducts of 1 (should a terminal exist), but
>the `at least' part refers to arbitrary coproducts and does *not* reduce to
>coproducts of 1.
>

>So, A is `abstractly exclusively unary' if HOM(A,-):E---> SET preserves
>coproducts, and it is an `atom' if HOM(A,-):E---> SET preserves colimits.
>What Vaughan calls `connected' is what I have called `abstractly unary'
>but, more appropriately, `connected' should mean `abstractly exclusively
>unary' (the factorization through the injections should be exactly one and
>not just at least one). The case of abstractly exclusively unary wrt binary
>coproducts of 1 is what Freyd-Scedrov (and all topologists) call connected.
>
>It would not be inappropriate to equate `connected' with `abstracly
>exclusively unary', but not with just `abstractly unary' as Vaughan does.
>In other words,  =  rather than just >, or full and faithful rather than
>just full.  I think that this was the real issue in Vaughan's question.
>This is all there is to it.
>

>Best regards,
>Marta
>

>From: Paul Taylor <pt07@PaulTaylor.EU>
>To: categories@mta.ca
>Subject: categories: connectedness
>Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 14:53:39 +0100
>
>Vaughan Pratt's original enquiry was actually in the context of
>graph theory (as I suspected at the time, and he subsequently
>confirmed), but I would like to add something from the point of
>view of constructive real analysis.
>
>First, though, I would like to underline something that Steve Lack
>(almost) said, namely that the category in which you index your
>components, and therefore also the one in which you define
>connectedness, need to be EXTENSIVE, ie their coproducts should
>be disjoint, and stable under pullback, and the initial object strict.
>
>Maybe we've over-done philology recently, but "component" means
>"putting together", where we expect the parts to cover the whole
>(coproduct), without overlapping (disjoint), to be distinguishable
>(like disjoint union, but unlike addition and disjunction).
>The modern notion of extensivity, in which Steve had a part,
>captures this idea very neatly.   The equivalence between definitions
>of connectedness based on 1+1 and on X+Y surely depends on stability
>under pullback, and the requirement that the choice between left
> [...]

Express yourself with free Messenger emoticons. Check out
freemessengeremoticons.ca