categories - Category Theory list
From: JeanBenabou <jean.benabou@wanadoo.fr>
To: Paul B Levy <P.B.Levy@cs.bham.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Historical terminology,.. and a few other things.
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 23:53:07 +0100	[thread overview]

Dear Paul,

There are unfortunately TWO conflicting uses of "locally" in category
theory, which have nothing to do with each other:
One means "slicewise", which I was referring to, and the other means
"homwise", coming from enriched categories. When we say lccc, we
obviously refer to the first one. It was in order not to introduce
further ambiguities in the FIRST notion that I wanted to get a
"consensus" about IT.

As for "indexed" versus "fibered" I have many times mentioned the
PURELY MATHEMATICAL reasons of my preference. Here is a "test" for
you. It is a well known easy and important fact that: the composite
of two fibrations is a fibration.
I am ready to pay two bottles of GOOD champagne to anyone who can
state this result using only indexed categories, and SIX bottles to
anyone who can state, and prove, the same result