categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Complete Heyting algebras
@ 2007-11-20 17:08 JeanBenabou
From: JeanBenabou @ 2007-11-20 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories

Of course not !
Elementary toposes are models of a first order theory (this is also
true for elementary toposes with an NNO) . Thus there are countable
models. In such a model the answer is no.

@ 2007-11-20 14:57 Prof. Peter Johnstone
From: Prof. Peter Johnstone @ 2007-11-20 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, Lutz Schroeder wrote:

> Is the Heyting algebra of global elements of the classifier in an
> elementary topos always complete?

The answer is no: any Boolean algebra, complete or not, can occur
as Sub(1) in a topos (see Exercise 9.11 in my old Topos Theory book),
and any quotient of a complete Heyting algebra (by a finitary Heyting
congruence -- such quotients needn't be complete) can occur, by use of
the filterpower construction (cf. my paper with Murray Adelman "Serre
classes for toposes", Bull.Austral.Math.Soc. 25 (1982), 103-115).
There are examples due to Peter Freyd
of Heyting algebras which can't occur as Sub(1) in a topos
generated by subobjects of 1. For a long time it was an open
problem whether any Heyting algebra can occur as Sub(1) in a topos
(without the restriction on generators): Dito Pataraia has recently
announced a positive solution to this problem. I have heard a seminar
talk about his solution, and seen half of a preprint, but haven't yet
managed to understand the other half of his construction.

Peter Johnstone

* Complete Heyting algebras
@ 2007-11-20 12:10 Lutz Schroeder