categories - Category Theory list
* countable Heyting algebras
@ 2007-11-26  6:03 Dana Scott
From: Dana Scott @ 2007-11-26  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Thomas Streicher recently noted:

> omega + 1 is an infinite countable Ha which nevertheless
> is complete

True.  And the dual algebra {0} + omega* with the descending copy
integers is also a complete Ha (cHa).

But this second example, which is non-atomic, is not fully non-atomic;
that is, there are minimal gaps in the ordering.

Take Q = rationals in [0,1].  This is a countable, non-complete Ha,
where between any two distinct elements there is a third.

Note that all these Ha's are subalgebras of the unit interval [0,1]
of all reals -- which is uncountable, of course.  In linearly ordered
Ha's, the implication b --> c == c if b > c, and is 1 otherwise.  It
follows that the not-not stable elements are just 0 and 1.

As I remarked once before, it is an old theorem that all countable,
non-atomic Boolean algebras are isomorphic.  Call this Boolean algebra
F for free, for short.  This isomorphism theorem is far from true for
Ha's, however.

Take the algebra Q x Q.  This is a fully non-atomic, but it has FOUR
not-not stable elements = {0,1} x {0,1}.  So this is not the algebra
Q.  Take any other finite power, Q x Q x ... x Q.  They are all
different
by reference to the not-not stable elements.

The Ba I called F has a recursive structure (as one sees from what
we know about propositional calculus) in that all the operations
are recursive in terms of a simple enumeration of the elements of
F.  The question I want to consider is what countable Ha extend F
in such a way F equals the not-not stable elements.

Now, F can also be considered as the clopens of the Cantor space
2^N.  The cHa of all opens is fully non-atomic, but it is uncountable.
Call it C for Cantor.  The not-not stable elements of C are the so-
called
regular open sets.  They form an uncountable cBa which is the completion
of F.  But we want to ask if there are there interesting countable
subalgebras of C?  We note that elements of C are determined by the
elements of F they contain.  (In fact, the cHa C is isomorphic to the
lattice of ideals of F.)

Here is one construction.  Let A be the arithmetically definable
elements of C.  That is, take the elements of x of C where the
set {a in F | a =< x } is (first-order) arithmetically definable
(in terms of the enumeration of F).  I claim that A is a Ha.
Of course it contains F; and, if it is a subalgebra of C, then the
not-not stable elements give us an extension of F.  But it is
countable and the extension of F, call it G, is non-atomic; hence,
the stable elements of A form a Ba G isomorphic to F.

To check the subalgebra part we note for x,y in C and a in F:

	a =< x /\ y  <==>  a =< x & a =< y;

	a =< x \/ y  <==>  (for some b,c in F)[ a = b \/ c &
                             b =< x & c =< y ].

Hence, if x,y are in A, then so are x /\ y and x \/ y.

At first I had thought the recursively enumerable opens would
be enough, but there is trouble with negation.  We have for x in C
and a in F, and with -x notating negation in C:

	a =< -x  <==> (for all b in F)[ b =< x ==> a /\ b = 0 ].

The universal quantifier seems needed, and so {a in F | a =< -x }
does not seem to be r.e. in general.  But, if x is in A, then so
is -x.

We need to generalize this remark to implication in C, so for a in F
and x,y in C:

	a =< x --> y  <==> (for all b in F)[ b =< x ==> a /\ b =< y ].

Hence, if x,y are in A, then so is x --> y. And A is a sub-Ha of C.

Note that in A, if an element x is not 0, than the interval [0,x] in A
is in itself a non-Boolean cHa (a homomorphic image of A).

Consider next the algebra A x F.  This algebra is a countable, fully
non-atomic Ha.  The not-not stable elements of A come out to be
G x F, which is isomorphic to F (and G).  But, the element x = (0,1)
has the interval [0,x] in A x F isomorphic to F.  And that is
Boolean.  So, A and A x F are NOT isomorphic.

Note, however, that A x F and (A x F) x F ARE isomorphic.  Also, as
I forgot to mention, A and A x A are isomorphic.  Anyway, we have
at least two non-isomorphic, non-Boolean Ha's with an isomorph of F
as the not-not stables.  And they are fully non-atomic.

Are there other, non-isomorphic extensions of F?  At this moment
I do not see a knock-down argument.  One idea, is to call the above
algebra A_1 (for first-order definable opens) and consider the algebras
A_n of n-th order definable opens.  I think we get the same conclusions
about A_n and A_n x F not being isomorphic, BUT is every A_n somehow
isomorphic to A_1 (with a highly non-recursive automorphism of F)?
Is that possible, or have I missed an obvious point?

If the A_n are all not isomorphic, then we can probably get an
uncountable collection of mutually non-isomorphic extensions of F.

And, how would these relate to Sub(1) Ha's of countable topoi?
Or are these considerations a red herring?

* Re: countable Heyting algebras
@ 2007-11-26 18:09 Dana Scott
From: Dana Scott @ 2007-11-26 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Woke up in the middle of the night and realized I said
something obviously wrong.  (Not the first time, and
won't be the last, I'm afraid.)

On Nov 25, 2007, at 10:03 PM, Dana Scott wrote:

> Now, F can also be considered as the clopens of the Cantor space
> 2^N.  The cHa of all opens is fully non-atomic, but it is uncountable.
> Call it C for Cantor.  The not-not stable elements of C are the so-
> called regular open sets.  They form an uncountable cBa which is the
> completion of F.  But we want to ask if there are there interesting
> countable subalgebras of C?  We note that elements of C are determined
> by the elements of F they contain.  (In fact, the cHa C is isomorphic
> to the lattice of ideals of F.)

Well, it is true that the stable elements of C form the completion of
F.  And, every element of C is a sup of elements of F, so C is atomless
in the sense of having no minimal non-zero elements.  And, the stables
of C form an atomless cBa.  BUT -- and here is my oversight -- C does
have gaps, and so the cHa is NOT fully non-atomic.

Think of the Cantor set as a subspace T of the unit interval.  There
is a blank from 1/3 to 2/3, if we make the construction via the
middle-third process.  This means that [0,1/3) meet T is open in T,
but [0,1/3] meet T = [0,2/3) meet T is both open and closed.  This
gives a gap between two opens in the cHa C.  So C is not fully gapless.
This gap also exists in the subalgebra A of arithmetically definable
opens.   Aarrgghh.

Is there a fix?  Can we take a quotient in the category of Ha's that
closes the gaps?  Maybe, and maybe not.  In countable Ba's, dividing
by the ideal generated by the atoms can result in a quotient algebra
that still has atoms.   Aarrgghh!

I will have to think further.  Rats!