categories - Category Theory list
From: selinger@mathstat.dal.ca (Peter Selinger)
To: categories@mta.ca (Categories list)
Subject: Re: On defining *-autonomous categories
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:29:17 -0400 (AST)	[thread overview]

Dear Mike,

first, the definition that you "never noticed before" appears as
Definition C in your paper "Non-symmetric *-autonomous categories"
(Theoretical Computer Science, 139 (1995), 115-130). Okay, there are
minor differences, e.g., in that paper you considered the
non-symmetric case and you didn't require * to be an involution.

The definition precisely as stated in your email (and not in your
paper) is problematic: one obtains two canonical isomorphisms A ->
A**, and they do not in general coincide. Namely, the first such
morphisms is the isomorphism invol : A -> A** that comes from the
requirement "contravariant involution". The second one is lift : A ->
A** and comes from the monoidal closed structure. It is given
explicitly by the following string of equivalences:

= Hom(X, A)
= Hom(A*, X*)
= Hom(I, (A* @ X)*)  ax
= Hom(I, (X @ A*)*)  sym
= Hom(X, A**)        ax

To see that they do not, in general, coincide, consider a *-autonomous
category C in which there exists a non-trivial natural isomorphism
eta_A : A -> A from the identity functor to itself (for example,
finite dimensional vector spaces where eta is multiplication by -1).
Consider the usual functor (-)* and the usual isomophism Hom(A @
B,C*) = Hom(A,(B @ C)*). Let invol : A -> A** be the usual involution,
and let invol' = invol o eta: A -> A -> A**. Then invol' defines
another structure of "contravariant involution" on the functor
(-)*, different from lift.

Therefore, in general, for this definition to be useable, one needs
another coherence condition stating that invol = lift.  Or else, one
can just drop the a priori requirement that * is involutive, and just
let it follow from the other structure (as you did in the above-cited
paper).

This seems a good moment to mention that another definition of
*-autonomous category, which occasionally appears in the literature,
suffers from a similar affliction. Some authors define a *-autonomous
category to be a symmetric monoidal category C together with a functor
(-)* : C^op -> C and a natural isomorphism Hom(A @ B, C) = Hom(A, (B @
C*)*). Although this definition does not a priori assume * to be
involutive, it still yields two canonical maps C -> C** that do not in
general coincide, and therefore, it is missing a coherence condition.
The two competing maps f_1 and f_2 are given as follows:

   (A, A)   ==   (A x I, A)
            ==   (A, (I x A*)*)            (ax)
            ==   (A, A**).

   (A*, A*) ==   (A*, (A x I**)*)          (##)
            ==   (A* x A, I*)              (ax)
            ==   (A x A*, I*)
            ==   (A, (A* x I**)*)          (ax)
            ==   (A, A**)                  (##)

Here, (ax) is the axiom, and (##) denotes an application of the
isomorphism I = I**, which can be obtained by letting A=B=C in (ax).
To see that they don't in general coincide, consider the same
counterexample as above, and modify the isomorphism (ax) by
multiplication with the scalar -1. Since it is used an odd number of
times in the definition of f_1, but an even number of times in the
definition of f_2, it follows that f_1 != f_2.

On the other hand, none of the above matters in some sense, due to a
theorem proved last year by Robin Houston (it was previously unknown
at least to me):

 Theorem. Let C be a symmetric monoidal category, and let D be an object.
 If there *exists* a natural isomorphism f : A -> (A -o D) -o D,
 then the *canonical* natural transformation g : A -> (A -o D) -o D
 (coming from the symmetric monoidal structure) is an isomorphism
 (although it may in general be different from f).

Therefore, in the definition of *-autonomous category, the mere
existence of an isomorphism (not necessarily satisfying coherence
conditions) already implies the existence of a (possibly different)
isomorphism satisfying all the coherence conditions. In this sense,
both the Hom(A @ B,C*) = Hom(A,(B @ C)*) definition and the Hom(A @
B,C*) = Hom(A,(B @ C)*) definition are correct: they certainly imply
that the underlying category is *-autonomous - although not necessarily
with the given structure!

-- Peter