categories - Category Theory list
* Exam practices
@ 2007-12-17 15:00 Gabor Lukacs
From: Gabor Lukacs @ 2007-12-17 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

[Note from moderator: This item is off topic. It is sent with the
understanding, and agreement of the poster, that any response be sent
directly to him, not to the list.]

Dear Colleagues,

As a member of the Executive Committee of my department, I was given the
task of gathering information on exam practices/policies in preparation
for estalishing our own policy.

I would like to ask for your help by sharing with me your own
experience/practices/policies:

A. Grade vs. mark

1. At the end of the term, do you assign a mark (like 87) or a letter
grade (like A or A+) -- or both?

2. How do you convert numeric marks to letter grades? (Is there a
departmental/faculty/university standard for this?)

3. Is the conversion scheme from numeric marks to letter grades public
(i.e., known to students) or kept in secret?

4. Do you have to tell your students the conversion scheme at the
beginning of the term?

5. Do you tell students their mark on the final exam, or only their letter
grade?

B. Appeals

1. How appeals are handled? Is there an appeal fee? How much?

2. Can students have (supervised) access to their final exams before or
during the appeal period/process?

3. Can students request a photocopy of their exam (examination notebook)?
What is the fee?

I would like to thank in advance everyone who responds to this.

Happy holidays!

Gabi

only message in thread, other threads:[~2007-12-17 15:00 UTC | newest]