categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Alex
@ 2008-02-03 16:16 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2008-02-03 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

[Note from moderator: Jack may refer to a nice picture linked from:
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~ct99/  ]

Jack Duskin wrote, recently, without being terribly specific,

> There is a marvelous picture of Saunders and Alex chairing the Coimbra
> CT99 conference. Everyone who knows them should see it.

A few neat, if low-res, pictures of Alex (and Saunders) at Coimbra
may be found as the jpegs

http://home.att.net/~b.mikolajewska/booknook/titles/Symposium/Sym-03.jpg
http://home.att.net/~b.mikolajewska/booknook/titles/Symposium/Sym-25.jpg

or on the book pages

http://home.att.net/~b.mikolajewska/booknook/titles/Symposium/S-06.htm
http://home.att.net/~b.mikolajewska/booknook/titles/Symposium/S-19.htm

and those before and after. While these may well NOT be the images
Jack meant, they may do until he provides more specific references.

Of course, I, like all who had the privilege of coming to know Alex
and Grace, mourn the passing of this cosmopolitan gentleman, quiet
scholar, and supportive enthusiast for category theory. Would that I
might know how to support Grace in these terrible hours: my heart goes
out to her, as also to his children, both biological and mathematical.

-- Fred

* RE: Alex
       [not found] <506A7CB9.6080500@bangor.ac.uk>
@ 2012-10-02 13:38 ` jim stasheff
From: jim stasheff @ 2012-10-02 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

From: John Duskin @ 2008-02-03 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Curiously, Fred's marvelous pictures do not include the one I have of Saund=
ers and Alex (taken by the conference photographer). I don't know how to pu=
t it on the web.

* Alex
@ 2008-02-02 18:17 John Duskin
From: John Duskin @ 2008-02-02 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)