categories - Category Theory list
From: peasthope@shaw.ca
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: A small cartesian closed concrete category
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 10:37:02 -0400	[thread overview]

Folk,

At Thu, 14 Feb 2008 15:06:49 -0500 I wrote,
"Is there a cartesian closed concrete category which
is small enough to write out explicitly?"

At Fri, 15 Feb 2008 08:47:57 +0000 Philip Wadler srote,
"... please summarize the replies ... and send ... to the ... list?
... interested to see if you receive a positive reply."

I've counted 16 respondents!  The question is
answered well.  With my limited knowledge, the
summary probably fails to credit some of the
Thanks to everyone who replied!

5 messages mentioned Hyting-algebras.
Never heard of them.  Lawvere & Schanuel
do not mention them in the 1997 book.
Will store the terms for future reference.

Fred Linton wrote,
"... skeletal version of the full category
... having as only objects the ordinal numbers 0 and 1.

Here 0 x A = 0, 1 x A = A, 0^1 = 0, 0^0 = 1, 1^A = 1.
In other words, B x A = min(A, B), B^A = max(1-A, B)."

My product diagrams are at
  http://carnot.yi.org/category01.jpg
.

Now I can try to illustrate the uniqueness
of map objects according to L&S, page page 314,
Exercise 1.  Does this category have a name?
Is Boolean Category sensible?

Two messages mentioned lambda calculus.
Another topic for future reference.

Stephen Lack asked "How small is small?
How explicit is explicit?"  Probably
several other readers wondered the same.
Fred's reply is small enough and explicit
enough to write out in detail.

One message addressed the term "concrete".
I referred to Concrete Categories in the
Wikipedia.

Matt Hellige mentioned categories a little
bigger than that described by Fred.
For instance, objects 0, 1, 2, 3.
Map A -> B exists iff A < B.

B x A =? min(A, B)
I should sketch the details of some of these
examples beyond the 0, 1 case above.

Andrej Bauer described Fred's category in the context
of Heyting algebra and noted a proof by
Peter Freyd.

Thorsten Altenkirch mentioned an equational
inconsistency which is beyond my present
grasp.

Apologies to anyone who's reply is not
addressed adequately.  If someone requests,
I can revise the summary and resubmit it.

Thanks,         ... Peter E.

Desktops.OpenDoc  http://carnot.yi.org/