categories - Category Theory list
* RE: The Category of Semimodules over Semirings
@ 2008-03-16 14:49 Katsov, Yefim
From: Katsov, Yefim @ 2008-03-16 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear Jawad,

Here are some suggestions that hopefully may help you:

1) In regard of literature on the subject, I'd suggest to look at the book, "A Guide to the Literature on Semirings and their Applications in Mathematics and Information Sciences (With Complete Bibliography)," by Kazimierz Glazek, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2002.

2) Concerning categorical aspects of semimodules categories, I'd suggest to check publications of Ildar S. Safuanov whose Ph.D. dissertation, supervised by late Prof. L.A. Skornyakov (Moscow State U., MGU) in 80-th, was about categorical aspect of semimodules.

With my best wishes,

Yefim
Prof. Yefim Katsov
Department of Mathematics & CS
Hanover College
Hanover, IN 47243-0890, USA
telephones: office (812) 866-6119;
                 home (812) 866-4312;
                  fax   (812) 866-7229
From: Jawad Abuhlail @ 2008-03-17 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear Prof. Linton,
Many thanks for your comments about the existence of coequalizers in
categories of semimodules.

What I mentioned (that the category of left semimodules over an arbitrary
semiring has in general no coequalizers) was due to CONFUSION caused by the
way some results in "M. Takahashi, Completeness and $C$-co completeness of
the category of semimodules. Math. Sem. Notes Kobe Univ. 10 (1982), no. 2,
551--562." are stated.

In that paper, Takahashi proved that the category of left semimodules over
an arbitrary semiring has $c$-coequalizers and is $c$-cocomplete (where $c :
R-smod ---> C-R-smod$ denote the functor that assigns to each semimodule its
associated cancellative semimodule).

Indeed his proof does not exclude that this category has coequalizers as I
(apparently incorrectly) stated. For your convenience, I summarize what
Takahashi did in the above mentioned paper:

Denote the category of left semimodules over a semirings $R$ by $R-smod$ and
its full subcategory of cancellative semimodules by $C-R-smod$. Then
$R-smod$ has products and equalizers, whence complete. Let $c : R-smod --->
C-R-smod$ denote the functor that assigns to each semimodule its associated
cancellative semimodule. This functor is left adjoint to the embedding
functor $U : C-R-smod ---> R-smod$. Then $R-smod$ has coproducts and
$c$-coequalizers, whence $c$-cocomplete.

The confusion is caused by his statement that "$c$-cocompleteness is a
relaxation of cocompleteness" and the last Corollary in the paper, in which
he deduced that the full subcategory $C-R-smod$ of CANCELLATIVE semimodules
has coequalizers and is cocomplete!!

Anyway, I am so grateful for your comments and would appreciate as well any
comment about exactness of colimits in $C-R-smod$ and $C-R-smod$ (in the
category of modules over rings, colimits are exact!!) will be highly
appreciated.

Wassalam,
Jawad

From: Stephen Lack @ 2008-03-17  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

As Fred says, the semimodules over a given semiring are
determined by operations and equations, and so are complete
and cocomplete. In terms of exactness properties they are
also

(i) locally finitely presentable (so that finite limits commute
with filtered colimits, and
(ii) Barr-exact (so that there is an equivalence between quotients
and congruences)

If we restrict to the cancellative case, we still have completeness
and  cocompleteness and (i), but (ii) fails.

Steve Lack.

@ 2008-03-16 17:43 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2008-03-16 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories