categories - Category Theory list
From: "Stephen Lack" <S.Lack@uws.edu.au>
To: <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: The Category of Semimodules over Semirings
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:25:27 +1100	[thread overview]

As Fred says, the semimodules over a given semiring are
determined by operations and equations, and so are complete
and cocomplete. In terms of exactness properties they are
also

(i) locally finitely presentable (so that finite limits commute
with filtered colimits, and
(ii) Barr-exact (so that there is an equivalence between quotients
and congruences)

If we restrict to the cancellative case, we still have completeness
and  cocompleteness and (i), but (ii) fails.

Steve Lack.