categories - Category Theory list
* Re: The internal logic of a topos
@ 2008-03-18 18:19 Vaughan Pratt
From: Vaughan Pratt @ 2008-03-18 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Peter,

Your answers come as something of a relief, in that on the one hand it
seemed unlikely that every morphism \Omega^n --> \Omega would arise as a
Heyting polynomial, yet I didn't see why that should be taken as grounds
for calling such counterexamples nonlogical.  This was the nature of my
concern about Heyting algebras, that they might feature somehow in the
antecedent of someone's definition of logicality.

I'm more than happy to have Heyting algebras arise as a natural
consequence of something even more natural such the notion of topos.
I've known and loved Heyting algebras much longer than I have toposes,
yet I now see toposes as being prior to Heyting algebras in the causal
chain of things, and would be most uncomfortable with a definition of
logicality in a topos that arbitrarily took the notion of Heyting
algebra as a criterion in any essential way.

So I find the thought that there could be logical morphisms in a topos
that aren't Heyting polynomials quite comforting, as it tends to put
Heyting algebras in their place as themselves a natural *part* of the
internal logic of a topos thus understood without however being the
whole of it.

In a private reply Andrej Bauer made the nice point, obvious in
retrospect, that the logical morphisms as the morphisms \Omega^n -->
\Omega shouldn't assume n is finite or even discrete, to allow
quantification over any type.  He also brought up the matter of higher
order logic which hadn't been on my agenda but probably should be at
some point.

Vaughan

@ 2008-03-17 14:40 Prof. Peter Johnstone
From: Prof. Peter Johnstone @ 2008-03-17 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)