categories - Category Theory list
* Re:  Finite categories and filtered colimits,
@ 2008-04-23 13:28 Steve Vickers
From: Steve Vickers @ 2008-04-23 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear Francois,

I don't know how relevant this is to your thinking, but I thought I'd
mention the result is constructively false.

For an example, let C be the poset with two elements b <= t. The only
idempotents are the identities on b and t, so of course they split.

Let p be a truth value, and let I = {b} u {t | p}, an ideal (hence
directed) in C. If this has a colimit, then it must be either b or t.
The colimit is b iff not p (so I = {b}), and it follows that if the
colimit is t we have not not p. Hence existence of the colimit gives
(not p or not not p) for every p, which is not intuitionistically valid.

In fact one way to regard the set of truth values (i.e. the subobject
classifier) is as the ideal completion of C.

Regards,

Steve.

@ 2008-04-21 19:04 lamarche