categories - Category Theory list
From: Michael Barr <barr@math.mcgill.ca>
To: Categories list <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Further to my question on adjoints
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 15:27:40 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

I have checked this carefully and it works.  To summarize, let F =
Q[2^{1/2}] and E = Q[2^{1/4}].  Then any power of E contains a square
whose square is a square root of 2 and any ring homomorphism between
powers of E preserves it.  (Incidentally, although it may help your
intuition to take the positive fourth of 2, the various fourth roots of 2
are indistinguishable algebraically.)  Thus any ring in EqP(E) contains a
square root of 2 (although not necessarily a fourth root).  Now F is the
equalizer of the two distinct maps E to E, while Q is the equalizer of the
two distinct maps F to F.

This now gives a counter-example for my original question.  Let C be the
category of commutative rings, F = Hom(-,E) : C ---> Set\op and U = E^{-}:
Set\op ---> C are adjoint.  If T is the resultant triple, then F ---> E
===> E is an equalizer between two values of U, while not being the
canonical equalizer.  TF = E x E and T^2F = E x E x E x E.  I haven't done
the computation, but I believe the equalizer of TF ===> T^2 is F x F.

Thanks George,

Michael