categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Further to my question on adjoints
@ 2008-05-12 19:27 Michael Barr
From: Michael Barr @ 2008-05-12 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

I have checked this carefully and it works.  To summarize, let F =
Q[2^{1/2}] and E = Q[2^{1/4}].  Then any power of E contains a square
whose square is a square root of 2 and any ring homomorphism between
powers of E preserves it.  (Incidentally, although it may help your
intuition to take the positive fourth of 2, the various fourth roots of 2
are indistinguishable algebraically.)  Thus any ring in EqP(E) contains a
square root of 2 (although not necessarily a fourth root).  Now F is the
equalizer of the two distinct maps E to E, while Q is the equalizer of the
two distinct maps F to F.

This now gives a counter-example for my original question.  Let C be the
category of commutative rings, F = Hom(-,E) : C ---> Set\op and U = E^{-}:
Set\op ---> C are adjoint.  If T is the resultant triple, then F ---> E
===> E is an equalizer between two values of U, while not being the
canonical equalizer.  TF = E x E and T^2F = E x E x E x E.  I haven't done
the computation, but I believe the equalizer of TF ===> T^2 is F x F.

Thanks George,

Michael

@ 2008-05-12 23:43 George Janelidze
From: George Janelidze @ 2008-05-12 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

Dear Michael,

Sorry to say, I have no time now - so, just briefly:

I know that "positive" is just an illusion and I only used it to make things
seem more obvious. Moreover, "fields" is also an illusion, since all the
rings involved are (quasi-) separable Q-algebras - and in fact one should
put things inside the dual category of G-sets, where, say, G is a finite
group that has a subgroup whose normalizer is a normal subgroup in G
different from G itself. This would imply that the phenomenon you were
looking for can even be found in a category dual to a Boolean topos.

However I still have to study what you say in the second paragraph of your
message...

Thank you for an interesting question-

George

@ 2008-05-12 22:38 Stephen Lack
From: Stephen Lack @ 2008-05-12 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

Dear Michael,

I do not remember your original question, but here is an answer to this.
Let C be Cat^op and E be the arrow category 2.

It's easier to work in Cat itself. Then we are interested in the full
subcategory consisting of all categories X which admit a presentation

I.2 --> J.2 --> X
    -->

where I and J are sets, and "." is cotensor: e.g. J.2 denotes the
coproduct of J copies of 2.

But a category admits such a presentation if and only if it is free on
a graph, and the free categories are of course not closed under
coequalizers.

Steve.

@ 2008-05-12 18:42 George Janelidze

       [not found] <S4628680AbYELPnz/20080512154355Z+99@mate.dm.uba.ar>
@ 2008-05-12 15:51 ` Michael Barr
From: Michael Barr @ 2008-05-12 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

No.  For example, in the category of topological abelian groups, Z is far
from injective.  Nonetheless, if you say that a group is Z-compact when it
is an equalizer of two maps between powers of Z, then an equalizer of two
maps between Z-compact abelian groups is again Z-compact.  The proof is
not direct.  As it happens, I am talking on this in our seminar tomorrow.

Even though the reals are not injective in hausdorff spaces, a space is
realcompact iff it is a closed subspace of a power of R, which turns out
to be equivalent to being an equalizer of two maps between powers of R
(that is a cokernel pair of such a closed inclusion has enough real-valued
functions to separate points) and it is clear that a closed subspace of a
realcompact space is again realcompact.  Same thing for N-compact.  In
fact, for every example I have looked at sufficiently closely.

Michael

@ 2008-05-12 15:43 Eduardo Dubuc
From: Eduardo Dubuc @ 2008-05-12 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list