categories - Category Theory list
* HB, and "Thank you"
@ 2008-07-09 13:21 Walter Tholen
From: Walter Tholen @ 2008-07-09 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

[Longish note from moderator:

The gracious words below are much appreciated, sincere thanks to Walter.
I'm reluctantly following the injunction at the bottom of his message.
It gives me the chance to write that the "categories" and TAC jobs are
done gladly, and indeed without altruism - any service to the category
theory community is absolutely its own reward. It's always a privilege,
and the very best of intellectual fun and challenge, to be associated with
category theorists and category theory. As to TAC especially, this is also
a chance for my thanks, on behalf of our community, to the hard-working
TAC Editors (none more so than Walter) and their referees. Special thanks
also go to Michael Barr for keeping TAC looking good.

Please don't reply to the list on this off-topic item. Walter has written
very kindly for everyone who might do so.
]

Hi Bob:

Bill Lawvere already mentioned your big birthday in Calais, but not
everybody on the "categories" list may be aware that today (July 9, if I
remember correctly) is the actual day when you get elevated into some
already heavily populated grey zone: congratulations!

Somewhat more importantly, I would like to take the occasion to thank you
for the immense service to our community that you have been providing for
so many years now, by initiating and running "categories" and "TAC". In
fact, I believe that both ventures have been critical in building a sense
of community that becomes most apparent at the CT meetings. Your cool and
consistently measured style in running the two enterprises has won you
everybody's respect and gratitude, I think.

Last, but not least, let me take this occasion to thank you, Maria Manuel
Clementino, George Janelidze and Jiri Rosicky for editing a special volume
in TAC marking my own entry into that grey zone that you are reaching
today. As mentioned to you earlier, it's obviously an undeserved honour
which I nevertheless enjoy tremendously. Of course, I am especially
indebted to the authors who have contributed to the volume.

Thanks again, and best wishes,

Walter.

Note to Moderator: Don't even think of suppressing THIS message from the
list!

only message in thread, other threads:[~2008-07-09 13:21 UTC | newest]