categories - Category Theory list
From: "Stephen Lack" <S.Lack@uws.edu.au>
To: "Categories List" <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: RE: Set as a monoidal category
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:36:34 +1000	[thread overview]

Dear Peter,

There's a paper

Algebraic categories with few monoidal biclosed structures or none

of Foltz, Lair, and Kelly which studies monoidal closed structures on various
categories, and shows that the cartesian closed one is the only possibility for Set.
More generally, it shows that for many categories we know well, the only possible
monoidal closed structures are the ones we know well.

But this depends heavily on the closedness. Without that, as you say, one can use
the cocartesian monoidal structure (the coproduct).

Here's a further infinite family of monoidal structures on Set. Let A be any set. Then
define the tensor product * by X*Y=AXY+X+Y.

Steve.