categories - Category Theory list
* KT Chen's smooth CCC
@ 2008-08-18  0:16 John Baez
From: John Baez @ 2008-08-18  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hi -

Bill Lawvere mentioned that KT Chen had a cartesian closed category
of smooth spaces.  I've found this very useful in my work on geometry.
I kept wanting more properties of this category, so finally my student
Alex Hoffnung and I wrote a paper about it:

Convenient Categories of Smooth Spaces
http://arxiv.org/abs/0807.1704

Abstract: A "Chen space" is a set X equipped with a collection of
"plots" - maps from convex sets to X - satisfying three simple
axioms. While an individual Chen space can be much worse than a
smooth manifold, the category of all Chen spaces is much better
behaved than the category of smooth manifolds.  For example, any
subspace or quotient space of a Chen space is a Chen space, and
the space of smooth maps between Chen spaces is again a Chen space.
Souriau's "diffeological spaces" share these convenient properties.
Here we give a unified treatment of both formalisms. Following ideas
of Dubuc, we show that Chen spaces, diffeological spaces, and even
simplicial complexes are examples of "concrete sheaves on a concrete
site". As a result, the categories of such spaces are locally
cartesian closed, with all limits, all colimits, and a weak subobject
classifier. For the benefit of differential geometers, our treatment
explains most of the category theory we use.

In particular, at some point we break down and admit we're dealing
with a "quasitopos".

Best,
jb

* Re: KT Chen's smooth CCC
@ 2008-09-08 19:04 wlawvere
From: wlawvere @ 2008-09-08 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

[Note from moderator: with apologies to the poster, this is being resent
since some of you will have received a version with some corrupted
characters.]

There are no

           > objections to continuing to develop Chen's theory of "differentiable
           > spaces"

Indeed on 8/17, 8/26, and 8/27  I urged the continuation of the development
of Chen's theory (for example the smooth space of piecewise smooth paths),
making use of recent experience of the range of possible categories.

It is possible that

	 >sheaves on a concrete site can never serve as a framework
	 > for differential geometry with infinitesimals.

But a proof would require a definition of what is meant by infinitesimals,
as well as the constraint on the framework that the maps 1->R and R->R
are the standard ones. Otherwise nonstandard analysis might fit.
The nilpotents or germs capture the Heraclitian nature of motion in a way
that abstract sets do not directly.

The misplaced concreteness, according to which

          >spaces are [single] sets equipped with extra structure

is only a "second aspect of the default paradigm. The first aspect,
successfully overcome by the named pioneers, is the one generalizing the
default category of topological spaces (or locales). Here "default" refers
to the habitual response to the frequently occurring need to specify a
background category of cohesion in which to interpret our algebra.
The generalization from Sierpinski-valued functions (open sets) to
real-valued, has also been proposed, but that sort of
attempt never succeeded in yielding a simple theory of map spaces.
In contrast to this "function-algebra X/R as primary" paradigm,
the semi-dual "figure-geometry S/X as primary" has led to good map
spaces (including internal function algebras) for many authors
(Sebastiao e Silva, Fox, Hurewicz 60 years ago and several more recent).
I believe that attempting to force nearly-perfect duality has in general
not led to good results, but of course one studies the extent to which
a monad (presumed identity on models S) approximates the identity on
general spaces. For example, Froelicher’s duality condition applies not
only to the line R but to the function space R^R, a non-trivial fact about
the smooth case, derived by LSZ from a study of distributions of compact
support (so citing it is not just name-dropping).

 Bill

On Tue 09/02/08  6:00 PM , John Baez baez@math.ucr.edu sent:

* Re: KT Chen's smooth CCC
@ 2008-09-02 22:00 John Baez