categories - Category Theory list
From: "Eduardo J. Dubuc" <edubuc@dm.uba.ar>
To: Categories list <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: abutment = aboutement?
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 03:15:13 -0300	[thread overview]

Fred Linton has in this mail enlighten us all about the meaning in french of
the words  "aboutissement" and "aboutement". Quite different meanings.

(*) It seems that "aboutir" means more or less "to arrive" or "to finish"
"come to the end"  etc,

while "abuter" means 'to join end to end',

thus ""abuter" a path" would mean "to make it into a loop" while ""aboutir" a
path" would mean "to arrive to the end point"

if "abutment" translates "aboutement",
                           it certaily does not translate "aboutissement"

Having in mind (*) above, somebody knowledgeable in both mathematics (in
particular spectral sequences) and english should be able to come up with a
correct english version of what Grothendieck meant by "aboutissement", which
was certainly not  "abutment".