categories - Category Theory list
* Re: abutment = aboutement?
@ 2008-08-22 16:46 Eduardo J. Dubuc
From: Eduardo J. Dubuc @ 2008-08-22 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

[ Note from moderator: It is time to close this thread. Further discussion
of the linguistic part of Michael's query should happen away from the
list. Thanks to contributors. ]

Michael Barr wrote:
> I am NOT about to change a word that has apparently existed for over 50
> years just because it is not particularly meaningful.

"aboutissement" existed for over 50 years of course, but the translation
"abutment" is, (at least in the references given in these postings, including
the translation of the grothendieck-serre correspondence) much more recent, it
seem that all of its occurrences are from the second millennium, or very close.

On the other hand, we have learned in these postings that in the 1980's and
before, the word "limit" (and not "abutment') was used for what a spectral
sequence converges to. An authority as Peter Hilton used "limit".

There are a lot of well established words in mathematics which are not
particularly meaningful, but the difference with  "abutment" is precisely that
they are well established.

* Re: abutment = aboutement?
@ 2008-08-22 13:30 wlawvere
From: wlawvere @ 2008-08-22 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

There are common  words, rarely used in a technical sense,
that however may be useful as explanatory marginal
alternatives of foreign words. The "ab...ment d.. " being
discussed seems to be explained by  "goal", as in
       f is the goal of F
where F is the Fourer series of a function f (which leaves to
particular investigation the question of actual convergence).

In turn "goal" can be helpfully explained as
             purpose
a concept that academic discussions should not forget.

Bill

On Thu 08/21/08  3:18 PM , Vaughan Pratt pratt@cs.stanford.edu sent:
> Meanwhile I count eight occurrences of "abut" and
> "abutment" in the (36kilobyte!) main Wikipedia article on spectral sequences (there are a
> dozen separate much shorter articles on particular spectral sequences,
> along with a 15 kB article on derived categories).
>
> On the other hand the algebra and geometry articles of the 1987
> Britannica Macropaedia both prefer the term "limit" for what a
> spectralsequence converges to, in respectively Peter Hilton's contribution
> "Other aspects of homological algebra" to the algebra article,
> and thegeometry article's section on algebraic topology.
>
> Since Wikipedia seems to be trumping Britannica these days, and no one
> here has objected to established usage in mathematics trumping
> linguistic suitability, the precise distance of "abutment" from
> theoptimal English cognate for "aboutissement" would appear to be
> academic,an epithet reflecting the outside world's perception that raising moot
> points is in our job description.
>
> Vaughan
>
> >> Thanks to Eduardo D and Vaughan P and Michel
> H for their misgivings,>> which encouraged me to compose the above,
> despite the assurances>> of Jim S that the 'abut*' usage is by now
> well entrenched.>>
> >> Fred

* Re: abutment = aboutement?
@ 2008-08-22 13:22 jim stasheff
From: jim stasheff @ 2008-08-22 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

Thaks, Vaughan

That reraises a question I implied earlier
limit for the E_\infty term is appropriate
but that is the graded of what I dimly recall the SS
abuts to - the ungraded, e.g. H^(E) in the Serre-Leray SS

anyone confirm that?

jim

Pratt wrote:
> Meanwhile I count eight occurrences of "abut" and "abutment" in the (36
> kilobyte!) main Wikipedia article on spectral sequences (there are a
> dozen separate much shorter articles on particular spectral sequences,
> along with a 15 kB article on derived categories).
>
> On the other hand the algebra and geometry articles of the 1987
> Britannica Macropaedia both prefer the term "limit" for what a spectral
> sequence converges to, in respectively Peter Hilton's contribution
> "Other aspects of homological algebra" to the algebra article, and the
> geometry article's section on algebraic topology.
>
> Since Wikipedia seems to be trumping Britannica these days, and no one
> here has objected to established usage in mathematics trumping
> linguistic suitability, the precise distance of "abutment" from the
> optimal English cognate for "aboutissement" would appear to be academic,
> an epithet reflecting the outside world's perception that raising moot
> points is in our job description.
>
> Vaughan
>
>>> Thanks to Eduardo D and Vaughan P and Michel H for their misgivings,
>>> which encouraged me to compose the above, despite the assurances
>>> of Jim S that the 'abut*' usage is by now well entrenched.
>>>
>>> Fred

* Re: abutment = aboutement?
@ 2008-08-22  4:04 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2008-08-22  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

A few gentle corrections, if I may, and a comment.

First, a recurrent typo:

*never* "abuter" -- only "abouter".

Next, when I wrote

> French "abouter" is a verb, derived from "bout", whose meaning is
> 'to join (or to place) end to end'

I omitted what I (evidently incorrectly) thought went without saying;
better would have been to include it, so:

> 'to join (or to place) [two things] end to end'

(thus "abouter" can be used for the placement of two successive
spans of a bridge, as in Vaughan's illustration, with the
special dedicated support where the two spans 'abut' being,
obviously, an 'abutment'; but one would not ["abouter" a path]).

And then, I omitted to mention that the verb "aboutir" is
*intransitive* -- it does *not* accept any direct object.
Thus it is linguistically impossible to ["aboutir" a path]: but
one *may* say of a path that it "aboutit" *at* a certain point,
or *in* a certain set, or ... .

[There is a reflexive cognate of "aboutir" -- "s'aboutir" -- used in
gardening terminology to mean 'to bud' or 'to be covered with buds',
but this usage surerely serves only as a red herring if one wants
to understand "aboutir" proper.]

Finally, to make peace with Jim S and Mike B: I in no way intend
what I've written (initially just privately, first to Mike, and
then to Eduardo) to dictate new terminology in place of established
spectral sequence usage. And I very much appreciate Jim's having shared
his mental 'abutting' vision for that usage. And yet, remembering the
triples/monads transition, I wonder whether a similar transition
may not yet take place as regards "aboutissement", etc.

Cheers, -- Fred

[PS: As not all mail-readers render what are known as HTML named entities
correctly, let me just add that, where a reader may see an 'agrave' between
an ampersand and a semicolon, I had intended an "a" with 'accent grave';
my similarly placed 'eacute' was meant to show as "e" with 'acute accent'.
Apologies to all those whose mail-readers garble these. -- Fred]

---

From: Robert L Knighten @ 2008-08-21 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

To add to the chatter on this topic I'll point to the bilingual
Grothendieck-Serre Correspondence (Pierre Colmez, Jean-Pierre Serre, eds.,
Catriona Maclean, tranlater.  AMS/SMF, 2004).  The first appearance of
"abutment" of a spectral sequence appears on p. 21 as the translation of
Serre's "au bout" (quotation marks in the text.)  On p. 26 Grothendieck uses
"l'aboutissement" (in quotation marks) which is also translated as
"abutment".  Aboutissement and the translation abutment, without quotation
marks, then appear on occasion throughout the remainder of the text.

-- Bob

--
Robert L. Knighten
RLK@knighten.org

* Re: abutment = aboutement?
@ 2008-08-21 19:18 Vaughan Pratt
From: Vaughan Pratt @ 2008-08-21 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

Meanwhile I count eight occurrences of "abut" and "abutment" in the (36
kilobyte!) main Wikipedia article on spectral sequences (there are a
dozen separate much shorter articles on particular spectral sequences,
along with a 15 kB article on derived categories).

On the other hand the algebra and geometry articles of the 1987
Britannica Macropaedia both prefer the term "limit" for what a spectral
sequence converges to, in respectively Peter Hilton's contribution
"Other aspects of homological algebra" to the algebra article, and the
geometry article's section on algebraic topology.

Since Wikipedia seems to be trumping Britannica these days, and no one
here has objected to established usage in mathematics trumping
linguistic suitability, the precise distance of "abutment" from the
optimal English cognate for "aboutissement" would appear to be academic,
an epithet reflecting the outside world's perception that raising moot
points is in our job description.

Vaughan

>> Thanks to Eduardo D and Vaughan P and Michel H for their misgivings,
>> which encouraged me to compose the above, despite the assurances
>> of Jim S that the 'abut*' usage is by now well entrenched.
>>
>> Fred

* Re: abutment = aboutement?
@ 2008-08-21 14:30 Nimish Shah
From: Nimish Shah @ 2008-08-21 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

On Wednesday 20 August 2008 2:13 pm, Michael Barr wrote:
> I am NOT about to change a word that has apparently existed for
> over 50 years just because it is not particularly meaningful.

I am going to risk putting my two cents here and perhaps being
rejected by the moderator.

One of the reasons why a word may need to be changed even if it has
existed for 50 years is to avoid confusion. For example in the
book "Categories for Software Engineering" the author talks about
the "social life" of a set being the other sets it talks to. For a
long while this puzzled me, until it dawned on me that the idea
that the author was using was that the origins of modern
Object-Orientated Programming (ie C++, Java) started with
SmallTalk. In SmallTalk, objects communicated with one another by
sending messages; and so making an analogy with familiar concepts
that programmers use "sets have a social life" because SW
objects "talk" to each other by sending messages.

Stated another way it is difficult to see how a (Mathematical)
object is the same as a (Software) object. The latter gets created
and destroyed as the object comes in and out of scope. Hence what
does one do? When stated generically, does the word object mean a
mathematical one (around 60 years old) or a software one (more
widely used)?

Nim.

* Re: abutment = aboutement?
@ 2008-08-21 14:07 Tim Porter
From: Tim Porter @ 2008-08-21 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

Following the webpage:
http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/aboutissement

perhaps the word outcome suggests itself.

Tim

Quoting "Eduardo J. Dubuc" <edubuc@dm.uba.ar>:

> Fred Linton has in this mail enlighten us all about the meaning in french of
> the words  "aboutissement" and "aboutement". Quite different meanings.
>
> (*) It seems that "aboutir" means more or less "to arrive" or "to finish"
> "come to the end"  etc,

* Re: abutment = aboutement?
@ 2008-08-21  6:15 Eduardo J. Dubuc
From: Eduardo J. Dubuc @ 2008-08-21  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

Fred Linton has in this mail enlighten us all about the meaning in french of
the words  "aboutissement" and "aboutement". Quite different meanings.

(*) It seems that "aboutir" means more or less "to arrive" or "to finish"
"come to the end"  etc,

while "abuter" means 'to join end to end',

thus ""abuter" a path" would mean "to make it into a loop" while ""aboutir" a
path" would mean "to arrive to the end point"

if "abutment" translates "aboutement",
                           it certaily does not translate "aboutissement"

Having in mind (*) above, somebody knowledgeable in both mathematics (in
particular spectral sequences) and english should be able to come up with a
correct english version of what Grothendieck meant by "aboutissement", which
was certainly not  "abutment".

* Re: abutment = aboutement?
@ 2008-08-20 15:33 jim stasheff
From: jim stasheff @ 2008-08-20 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Vaughan Pratt wrote:
> I'm with Michel on this one:
>
> > Just a remark about "abutment": it translates the French "aboutement",
> > with a rather different meaning than "aboutissement".  The latter is
> > closer to the "ending" (of some process; with possibly a little shade
> > of "fatality" in it).
> >
> > The two words are related, and I don't know whether the mathematical
> > idea behind makes "abutment" good, or even better, but I just wanted
> > to mention the difference.
>
> Not a single abutment in any of the following YouTube videos posted by
> their proud aboutisseurs.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aboutissement&search_type=
>
> Evidently G needed a word with the sense of "limit" or "completion" that
> didn't overload terms that already had technical meanings in that
> context while itself having a technical ring to it, which
> "aboutissement" seems to do nicely in French.  Something like "terminus"
> might serve this purpose in English.
>
> An abutment is an engineering construct for butting two things together,
> often in the context of bridges, whether over a river or between teeth,
> and seems quite unsuitable for this purpose.
>
> Vaughan

Mathematicians have a gift for language - not to worry about translation
consider translating `field' into
French
Russian
german

* Re: abutment = aboutement?
@ 2008-08-20 14:45 jim stasheff
From: jim stasheff @ 2008-08-20 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

> An abutment is an engineering construct for butting two things together,
> often in the context of bridges, whether over a river or between teeth,
> and seems quite unsuitable for this purpose.
>
> Vaughan

I admit I don't recall abutment
but abutting has a long history in spec sequence jargon
the idea I think was that the spectral sequence runs to/
buts up against the E\infty term or is it to the object
of which E\infty is the associated graded?

sorry it's been so long...

jim

* Re: abutment = aboutement?
@ 2008-08-20 13:13 Michael Barr
From: Michael Barr @ 2008-08-20 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I am NOT about to change a word that has apparently existed for over 50
years just because it is not particularly meaningful.  Does "ring", which
originally referred to Z/nZ, still have any connection with the notion?
How about "field" or as the French and Germans call them "body" have any
connection with fields.  The worst thing is to create a fork in the
language.  I have my own idea on what a better word would be but I'll be
damned if I state it in a public forum.  Anyway, I gather that
Grothendieck's definition is hardly used today.

It is interesting that the less important question (and ultimately
unimportant) question has flooded the list, while the serious one (what
was Grothendieck's supposed to be) has been ignored.  I have no
suggestion, save my own, for what definition was actually intended.

Michael

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, edubuc@dm.uba.ar wrote:

> I agree with Vaughan.
>
> Further, I have the feeling that "abutment" is not the appropriate way of
> rendering into mathematical english the meaning of the word
> "aboutissement" as it was used by Grothendieck.
>
> I repeat, we should analyse the whole french sentence to come up with a
> good translation.
>
> Is it not possible that somebody (not very versant in either french or
> english) had first the need to translate Grothendieck's "aboutissement",
> and unlike Michael Barr who asked advise, just  came up  with "abutment"
> (out of some dictionary).
>
> and then, other people  (also not very good at either french or english)
> in the same area just keep copying him  and each other?
>
> and generated the whole cascade coming out of google . . .
>
> who is to blame for the first use of "abutment" for Grothendieck's
> "aboutissement" in mathematical english  ?   ja !!!
>
> are we all going to follow ?
>
> I will be the first to use "abutment" if the word has a long tradition,
> and some prestigious mathematicians have used it.
>
> I finish with a question:  Is it the case here ?
>
> Eduardo Dubuc
>
>> I'm with Michel on this one:
>>
>> > Just a remark about "abutment": it translates the French "aboutement",
>> > with a rather different meaning than "aboutissement".  The latter is
>> > closer to the "ending" (of some process; with possibly a little shade
>> > of "fatality" in it).
>> >
>> > The two words are related, and I don't know whether the mathematical
>> > idea behind makes "abutment" good, or even better, but I just wanted
>> > to mention the difference.
>>
>> Not a single abutment in any of the following YouTube videos posted by
>> their proud aboutisseurs.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aboutissement&search_type=
>>
>> Evidently G needed a word with the sense of "limit" or "completion" that
>> didn't overload terms that already had technical meanings in that
>> context while itself having a technical ring to it, which
>> "aboutissement" seems to do nicely in French.  Something like "terminus"
>> might serve this purpose in English.
>>
>> An abutment is an engineering construct for butting two things together,
>> often in the context of bridges, whether over a river or between teeth,
>> and seems quite unsuitable for this purpose.
>>
>> Vaughan

* Re: abutment = aboutement?
@ 2008-08-20  5:12 edubuc
From: edubuc @ 2008-08-20  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I agree with Vaughan.

Further, I have the feeling that "abutment" is not the appropriate way of
rendering into mathematical english the meaning of the word
"aboutissement" as it was used by Grothendieck.

I repeat, we should analyse the whole french sentence to come up with a
good translation.

Is it not possible that somebody (not very versant in either french or
english) had first the need to translate Grothendieck's "aboutissement",
and unlike Michael Barr who asked advise, just  came up  with "abutment"
(out of some dictionary).

and then, other people  (also not very good at either french or english)
in the same area just keep copying him  and each other?

and generated the whole cascade coming out of google . . .

who is to blame for the first use of "abutment" for Grothendieck's
"aboutissement" in mathematical english  ?   ja !!!

are we all going to follow ?

 I will be the first to use "abutment" if the word has a long tradition,
and some prestigious mathematicians have used it.

I finish with a question:  Is it the case here ?

Eduardo Dubuc

> I'm with Michel on this one:
>
>  > Just a remark about "abutment": it translates the French "aboutement",
>  > with a rather different meaning than "aboutissement".  The latter is
>  > closer to the "ending" (of some process; with possibly a little shade
>  > of "fatality" in it).
>  >
>  > The two words are related, and I don't know whether the mathematical
>  > idea behind makes "abutment" good, or even better, but I just wanted
>  > to mention the difference.
>
> Not a single abutment in any of the following YouTube videos posted by
> their proud aboutisseurs.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aboutissement&search_type=
>
> Evidently G needed a word with the sense of "limit" or "completion" that
> didn't overload terms that already had technical meanings in that
> context while itself having a technical ring to it, which
> "aboutissement" seems to do nicely in French.  Something like "terminus"
> might serve this purpose in English.
>
> An abutment is an engineering construct for butting two things together,
> often in the context of bridges, whether over a river or between teeth,
> and seems quite unsuitable for this purpose.
>
> Vaughan

* Re: abutment = aboutement?
@ 2008-08-19 18:06 Vaughan Pratt
From: Vaughan Pratt @ 2008-08-19 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

@ 2008-08-19  6:28 mhebert
From: mhebert @ 2008-08-19  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear all,

> That seems to be the translation [abutment] of the word, thanks to several.

Just a remark about "abutment": it translates the French "aboutement", with a rather different meaning than "aboutissement".  The latter is closer to the "ending" (of some process; with possibly a little shade of "fatality" in it).

The two words are related, and I don't know whether the mathematical idea behind makes "abutment" good, or even better, but I just wanted to mention the difference.

Michel Hebert

Fromcat-dist@mta.ca

To"Categories list" categories@mta.ca

Cc

DateSun, 17 Aug 2008 20:08:59 -0400 (EDT)

Subjectcategories: abutment

That