categories - Category Theory list
* Asking for more trouble
@ 2008-08-24 23:51 Michael Barr
From: Michael Barr @ 2008-08-24 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

G is now talking about locally compact spaces and there are two phrases I
have not seen.  One is "relatively compact".  I assume this is the same as
what I call "conditionally compact", i.e. having compact closure.  The
other is "denombrable".  The context is "Suppose that the locally compact
space $X$ is denombrable a l'infini".  Does it mean first countable?

I don't want to start a discussion what bad terms these are, I just want
to know what they mean.

Michael

* Re: Asking for more trouble
@ 2008-08-25 16:08 Toby Bartels
From: Toby Bartels @ 2008-08-25 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

Michael Barr wrote in part:

>G is now talking about locally compact spaces and there are two phrases I
>have not seen.  One is "relatively compact".  I assume this is the same as
>what I call "conditionally compact", i.e. having compact closure.

Depending on the author, "relatively compact" can mean either
having compact closure, or having *any* compact superset.
In a Hausdorff space, these are equivalent.

--Toby

* Re: Asking for more trouble
@ 2008-08-25 14:47 Johannes.Huebschmann
From: Johannes.Huebschmann @ 2008-08-25 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

These are Bourbaki terms.

Denombrable: countable

denombrable a l'infini: countable at infinity
(the point at infinity of the Alexandroff compactification
of a locally compact space has a countable neighborhood base)

relativement compact: relatively compact (having compact closure)

Johannes