categories - Category Theory list
* Resolution
@ 2008-08-25 17:27 Michael Barr
From: Michael Barr @ 2008-08-25 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

Thanks to Jonathan Chiche and Johannes Huebschman for the answer to my
question.  First off, according to the online Encyclopedia of Mathematics,
relatively compact means having compact closure (I had called that
conditionally compact; neither term is very evocative).

Now to denombrable a l'infini, first Johannes wrote that it meant that the
one point compactification had a countable basis at the point at infinity.
Then Jonathan pointed to a '57 paper of M. Zisman that actually defined it
to mean \sigma-compact.  In the context of locally compact spaces, the two
definitions are easily seen to be equivalent!  Since \sigma-compact seems
to be widely used, I will go with that.

And now let us break off this thread.

Michael

* Re: Resolution
@ 2008-08-27  1:11 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2008-08-27  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Greetings

Let's just hope none of this creates another situation
like the one Sammy reported facing in a North African
fish restaurant, where his menu offered, among other
local delicacies, "Fried Pimp", the author evidently
having rendered the Arabic word for the fish in question,
actually a mackerel, first into French as "maquereau",
and thence into English as "pimp".

Rhymes with "shrimp" -- easier to type than "mackerel" --
so why not?

Cheers, -- Fred