categories - Category Theory list
* logics for model checking
@ 2008-09-02 14:24 Wojtowicz, Ralph
From: Wojtowicz, Ralph @ 2008-09-02 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I am trying to understand model-checking logics such as
linear temporal logic (LTL), computation tree logic (CTL),
and probabilistic extensions such as probabilistic computation
tree logic (PCTL).  These logics seem to be useful in model-
checking because of correspondences between recursive
definitions of formulas and recursive algorithms for
computing them.  Syntactic inference and any semantics
other than the few (transition systems, DTMCs, MDPs, etc.) for
which the logics were developed seem not to be of interest,
however.  Translation theorems such as D1.4.7, D1.4.12, and
D4.3.13 of Johnstone's "Elephant" are not applied, as far as
I have found.

Here are some initial thoughts based on my very limited
knowledge of categorical logic.  The temporal logic operators
"next", "eventually", and "always" may, for example,
be formulated using a propositional signature. Let A be a set
whose elements are thought of as state labels.  The set of
atomic propositions is {a_n | a in A, n in N}.  The following
are Horn formulas:

Next^n[a]       = a_n

Always^k[a]     = a_0 \wedge ... \wedge a_k

T^k[a, b]       = a_0 \wedge ... \wedge a_{k-1} \wedge b_k

The following are coherent formulas:

Until^k[a, b]   = T^0[a, b] \vee ... \vee T^k[a, b]

Eventually^k[a] = a_0 \vee ... \vee a_k

The following are geometric formulas:

Until[a, b]     = \vee_i T^i[a, b]

Eventually[a]   = \vee_i a_i

The following is infinitary:

Always[a]       = \wedge_i a_i.

Alternatively, these notions can be formulated as a
first-order theory with basic sorts "States" and "Paths".
It has function symbols

start : Paths -> States

shift : Paths -> Paths

and a set A of of relation symbols

a |-> States.

PCTL can be formulated as a \tau-theory.  It has basic sorts
States and Paths as above as well as the function symbols
start and shift.  It also has function symbols

Prob_{<p}:P(Paths) -> P(States)

(similarly for \leq, >, and \geq) for 0 \leq p\leq 1 and

Cost_{<c}:P(S) -> P(S)

(similarly for \leq, >, and \geq) for 0 \leq c.

There are certainly other presentations of these theories.
Finally, here are a few questions.

Has anyone studied the model-checking logics using the tools
of categorical logic?

What interactions exist between bisimulation/probabilistic
bisimulation and the logics?

What role could categorical logic have in developing model-
checking algorithms?

How can the usual semantics of these theories (e.g., DTMC
semantics for PCTL) be viewed categorically (e.g., in the
topos Set by interpreting the sorts simply as sets of states
and paths)?

Any other thoughts, suggestions, or references would be
appreciated.

Arnold.  "Finite Transition Systems".  Prentice-Hall.  1994.

Johnstone.  "Sketches of an Elephant: A Topos Theory Compendium".
Oxford University Press.  2002.

Rutten, Kwiatkowska, Norman, and Parker.  "Mathematical Techniques
for Analyzing Concurrent and Probabilistic Systems".  AMS.  2004.

Thanks,
Ralph Wojtowicz
Metron, Inc.
11911 Freedom Drive, Suite 800
Reston, VA  USA
wojtowicz@metsci.com

* Re: logics for model checking
@ 2008-09-03 20:59 Luigi Santocanale
From: Luigi Santocanale @ 2008-09-03 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hi,

 > Any other thoughts, suggestions, or references would be
 > appreciated.

In

L. S. Completions of \mu-algebras. APAL, 154(1):27-50, May 2008.

I studied the problem of the completeness of the modal mu-calculus from
an finitary algebraic point of view. In that paper some categorical
ideas, mainly from

W. Tholen, Pro-categories and multiadjoint functors, Canad. J. Math. 36
(1) (1984) 144–155.

play the relevant role. The challenge is to prove that in free modal
\mu-algebras, the relation

\mu.f = \bigvee_{n>=0}  f^n(\bot)

holds -- where \mu.f, the least fixpoint of f, is axiomatized by
equational implications and free modal \mu-algebras are not known to be
complete.

Best,

	Luigi

--
Luigi Santocanale

LIF/CMI Marseille  				Tél: 04 91 11 35 74
http://www.cmi.univ-mrs.fr/~lsantoca/		Fax: 04 91 11 36 02

* Re: logics for model checking
@ 2008-09-02 18:07 Claudio Hermida
From: Claudio Hermida @ 2008-09-02 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Wojtowicz, Ralph wrote:
> Finally, here are a few questions.
>
> Has anyone studied the model-checking logics using the tools
> of categorical logic?

Here's a little note I wrote about relational modalities from a
categorical logic viewpoint; it includes a few further references which
may be relevant to your question

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.18.3240

Claudio Hermida