categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Equivalence of pseudo-limits
@ 2008-09-11  2:27 Dominic Verity
From: Dominic Verity @ 2008-09-11  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hi Alex,

This property is certainly known to hold for a much larger class of
2-categorical limits - the flexible limits, which class includes the classes
of pseudo, lax and op-lax limits. I believe you will find a proof of this
result in the Bird, Kelly, Power and Street paper entitled "Flexible Limits
for 2-Categories". Failing that the Power and Robinson paper "A
characterisation of PIE limits" probably contains this result is some form.

You can also find explications of the pseudo and lax results in earlier
works by Street, although obvious candidates for the best one to consult
elude me at the moment.

The most elementary proof of the flexible limit result starts by observing
that all flexible limits can be constructed using products, splittings of
idempotents and a couple of less familiar, exclusively 2-categorical, limits
called inserters and equifiers. It is then straight forward to verify the
result you mention for each of these particular limits and then to infer
that it must therefore hold for all flexible limits.

In the early 1990's Robert Pare introduced a class of limits called the
persistent limits. These were defined for 2-categories, but made use of his
double categorical approach to 2-limits. Persistent limits are precisely
those limits which have the stability property you seek, but with regard to
a slightly more general class of double categorical diagram transformations
whose 1-cellular components are all equivalences.

In my thesis (1992), I prove that the class of flexible limits introduced by
Bird, Kelly, Power and Street is identical to Pare's class of persistent
limits - thus closing the circle and demonstrating that the flexible limits
are in a natural sense the largest class of 2-limits which have this
property.

Regards

Dominic Verity

@ 2008-09-11 17:54 Richard Garner
From: Richard Garner @ 2008-09-11 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

In the case singled out by Alex a rather direct proof can
also be given. Let Psd denote the 2-category of 2-functors,
pseudonatural transformations and modifications P -> Cat. The
pseudolimit of a 2-functor F: P -> Cat may be identified with
the hom-category Psd(1,F); and accordingly we have a
pseudolimit 2-functor lim = Psd(1,-): Psd -> Cat, which sends
pseudonatural equivalences F =~ G to equivalences of
categories lim(F) =~ lim(G). The corresponding result for
pseudolimits in other 2-categories now follows by the
Cat-enriched Yoneda lemma.

Richard

@ 2008-09-10  3:17 Alex Hoffnung