categories - Category Theory list
From: "R Brown" <ronnie.profbrown@btinternet.com>
To: "Vaughan Pratt" <pratt@cs.stanford.edu>,	<categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re:  Bourbaki and Categories
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:17:54 +0100	[thread overview]

There are already some pretty good categorical entries on wiki; I have
modified some of the entries on groups, actions, equivalence relations,  to
include references to groupoids, which has resulted in hits. But we should
also consider planetmath.org (entries are contributed under the terms of the
GNU Free Documentation License (FDL)) which allows for group work and is not
so open as wiki to general modification. It needs a group of you wonderful
energetic people to engage with reviewing what is on wiki and planetmath and
making sure they express what is fealt to be desirable!

In the old days, a graduate book would have an appendix on say set theory,
and maybe basic algebra, as needed for the rest of the text. It would be
very useful to have basic category theory (in terms of `the basic facts of
life') on the web available to all, with nice accounts of say `left adjoints
preserve colimits', etc. , with many convincing examples, and maybe history,
to which a text could refer. Something initially less ambitious like this
might actually get done. Being electronic, it would be  seen as a `current',
rather than `final account', and so would better reflect the way mathematics
develops, in which a slight shift of emphasis, or notation (like --> for a
function), can have profound consequences.

There is perhaps a  case for a separate collected electronic account, with
hyperref, and also a printed version, since a book is a useful portable
random access device. Print on Demand allows this to be produced quite
cheaply, with a 35% royalty on retail sales, and available on amazon.

Ronnie