categories - Category Theory list
From: Andre Joyal <joyal.andre@uqam.ca>
To: "George Janelidze" <janelg@telkomsa.net>,  <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re:  Bourbaki and Categories
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 13:13:21 -0400	[thread overview]

Dear George,

I thank you for your message.

You wrote:

>I insist that Bourbaki group simply did
>not see the importance of category theory.

It is difficult to know. The Boubaki group had shielded itself
in secrecy, like a free mason cell.
You are surely aware of the interview of Pierre Cartier
in the Mathematical Intelligencer No1 1998.
Everyone interested in the history of Bourbaki should read it.

http://ega-math.narod.ru/Bbaki/Cartier.htm

Let me stress a few passages:

>The fourth generation was more or less a group of students of Grothendieck. But at that time Grothendieck had already left Bourbaki.
>He belonged to Bourbaki for about ten years but he left in anger. The personalities were very strong at the time.
>I remember there were clashes very often. There was also, as usual, a fight of generations, like in any family.
>I think a small group like that repeated more or less the psychological features of a family.
>So we had clashes between generations, clashes between brothers, and so on.
>But they did not distract Bourbaki from his main goal, even though they were quite brutal occasionally.
>At least the goal was clear. There were a few people who could not take the burden of this psychological style,
>for instance Grothendieck left and also Lang dropped out.

> It is amazing that category theory was more or less the brainchild of Bourbaki. The two founders were Eilenberg and MacLane.
> MacLane was never a member of Bourbaki, but Eilenberg was, and MacLane was close in spirit. The first textbook on homo-logical
>algebra was Cartan-Eilenberg, which was published when both were very active in Bourbaki. Let us also mention Grothendieck, who
>developed categories to a very large extent. I have been using categories in a conscious or unconscious way in much of my work,
>and so had most of the Bourbaki members. But because the way of thinking was too dogmatic, or at least the presentation in the
>books was too dogmatic, Bourbaki could not accommodate a change of emphasis, once the publication process was started.

>In accordance with Hilbert's views, set theory was thought by Bourbaki to provide that badly needed general framework. If you need
> some logical foundations, categories are a more flexible tool than set theory. The point is that categories offer both a general
> philosophical foundation—that is the encyclopedic, or taxonomic part—and a very efficient mathematical tool, to be used in
>mathematical situations. That set theory and structures are, by contrast, more rigid can be seen by reading the final chapter in
>Bourbaki set theory, with a monstrous endeavor to formulate categories without categories.

The interview ends with the following passage.
The bold faces are from me.

>When I began in mathematics the main task of a mathematician was to bring order and make a synthesis of existing material, to create
>what Thomas Kuhn called normal science. Mathematics, in the forties and fifties, was undergoing what Kuhn calls a solidification period.
>In a given science there are times when you have to take all the existing material and create a unified terminology, unified standards,
>and train people in a unified style. The purpose of mathematics, in the fifties and sixties, was that, to create a new era of normal science.
>Now we are again at the beginning of a new revolution. Mathematics is undergoing major changes. We don't know exactly where it will go.
> It is not yet time to make a synthesis of all these things—MAYBE IN TWENTY OR THIRTY CENTURY IT WILL BE TIME FOR A NEW BOURBAKI.
>I consider myself very fortunate to have had two lives, a life of normal science and a life of scientific revolution.

Is it the time for a new Bourbaki?

Best regards,
André