categories - Category Theory list
* Re: are sketches math objects?
@ 2008-09-23 20:06 pierre.ageron
From: pierre.ageron @ 2008-09-23 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

The ontological status of "presentations of structures" is a key issue in
the history of mathematics in the 20th century. I wrote a number of
historical material about it. The following (in French) are available on
the Internet :

http://people.math.jussieu.fr/~burroni/mapage/Burroni.pdf

http://www.univ-nancy2.fr/poincare/colloques/symp02/abstracts/ageron.pdf

Pierre Ageron

* Re: are sketches math objects?
@ 2008-09-22 17:49 Zinovy Diskin
From: Zinovy Diskin @ 2008-09-22 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Lack, categories

Yes, all this "discussion" is mainly misunderstanding, and I apologize
if I've contributed to it. It seems it was triggered by this piece:

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 12:36 AM,  <Andre.Rodin@ens.fr> wrote:
> Dear Steve,
>
>> Sketches are not mathematical objects in their own right, in the same sense
>> that groups or spaces are.
>
> Of course, they are not.

So, the issue is closed. Still there is some point to mention, and I
again apologize if I'm peering into it too much. Our entire
mis-discussion is, perhaps, a result of two different attitudes. CT
favors and prefers to work in a presentation-free setting while
engineering applications are all about presentations; and this
mismatch may contribute to the disdain of CT from the practitioners'
side.  (Of course, this is not meant to anyhow diminish the elegance,
value and usefulness even for practical problems such concepts as
triple or classifying category :).

Zinovy

@ 2008-09-21 23:55 Steve Lack
From: Steve Lack @ 2008-09-21 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)