categories - Category Theory list
From: Martin Escardo <m.escardo@cs.bham.ac.uk>
To: Michael Barr <barr@math.mcgill.ca>, categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Group and abelian group objects in the category of Kelley spaces
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 00:10:56 +0100	[thread overview]

It is interesting that an answer to this question, before it was asked
here in the categories list, came up two weeks ago in a discussion I
had with Jimmie Lawson and Matthias Schroeder.

Schroeder showed recently that N^(N^N), where N is discrete and the
exponential is calculated in k-spaces, is not regular, and hence not
zero-dimensional either, which was an open problem (notice that the
compact-open topology on N^(N^N) is easily seen to be
zero-dimensional).

Lawson observed that this is isomorphic to Z^(N^N), which, with the
pointwise operations, is an abelian group in the category of k-spaces.
This gives your counter-example. Lawson also said that
counter-examples to complete regularity of k-groups where previously
known among the experts in the subject, but were more complicated
and/or artificial. (I don't know references.)

I hope this helps.

Martin Escardo