categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Group and abelian group objects in the category of Kelley spaces
@ 2008-09-28 23:10 Martin Escardo
From: Martin Escardo @ 2008-09-28 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Barr, categories

It is interesting that an answer to this question, before it was asked
here in the categories list, came up two weeks ago in a discussion I
had with Jimmie Lawson and Matthias Schroeder.

Schroeder showed recently that N^(N^N), where N is discrete and the
exponential is calculated in k-spaces, is not regular, and hence not
zero-dimensional either, which was an open problem (notice that the
compact-open topology on N^(N^N) is easily seen to be
zero-dimensional).

Lawson observed that this is isomorphic to Z^(N^N), which, with the
pointwise operations, is an abelian group in the category of k-spaces.
This gives your counter-example. Lawson also said that
counter-examples to complete regularity of k-groups where previously
known among the experts in the subject, but were more complicated
and/or artificial. (I don't know references.)

I hope this helps.

Martin Escardo

@ 2008-09-29 15:19 wlawvere
From: wlawvere @ 2008-09-29 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories, Bill Rowan, Jeff Egger

The term "Kelley space" is a misnomer
(due to Gabriel & Zisman ?), resulting from
a misinterpretation of the prefix in "k-space".
JLK's excellent 1955 textbook, from which
many of us learned mathematics, was not doing
subtle self-promotion when he used that term in
his clear exposition. In  fact, "k" stands for
kompakt, and the term was used by
Hurewicz in his 1949 lectures at Princeton where
he introduced these spaces. I have that from
telephone discussions with the late David Gale,
who had mentioned Hurewicz's k-spaces in his
1950 PAMS paper (as noticed by Horst Herrlich).
The same implicit idea is used in RH Fox's 1945
paper (except  based on countable
compact spaces instead of all), which was directly
incited by a letter from Hurewicz.

Bill

On Mon 09/29/08  6:36 AM , Jeff Egger jeffegger@yahoo.ca sent:

@ 2008-09-29 10:36 Jeff Egger
From: Jeff Egger @ 2008-09-29 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories, Bill Rowan

> if we have an (abelian, say)
> topological group, there is a natural uniform topology on
> the group such
> that the operations are uniformly continuous.  Does the
> same hold for
> abelian group objects in the category of Kelley spaces?

As others have already noted, the answer is no.  One possible
solution (assuming you regard this as a defect) is to apply
the idea implicit in the definition of Kelley space, not to
the category of all topological spaces, but to that of all
Tychonov (=uniformisable) spaces.  What results is a cartesian
closed category (that of "k_R-Tychonov spaces") with somewhat
different properties; a group in this category is tautologously
uniformisable and, if I recall correctly, is also true that the
operations are uniformly continuous.  Gabor Lukacs has studied
these things and spoken about them at several conferences.

Cheers,
Jeff.

http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com.

* Re: Group and abelian group objects in the category of Kelley spaces
@ 2008-09-28 14:19 Michael Barr
From: Michael Barr @ 2008-09-28 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Rowan, categories

@ 2008-09-26  4:46 Bill Rowan