categories - Category Theory list
* BourWiki-iBourbaki-FunctorWiki?
@ 2008-09-28 23:33 Ellis D. Cooper
From: Ellis D. Cooper @ 2008-09-28 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre Joyal, categories

Dear André Joyal,

At 01:55 PM 9/25/2008, you wrote:
(i) Some peoples have expressed doubts about the feasability.
(ii) we should make sure that iBourbaki can last for more than one generation.
(iii) We need to conciliate long term duration
with the rapid developpement of technology.
(iv) My task at this point is to convince peoples
that the project is worthy and feasable.

  If it will be useful to distinguish between (a)
mathematicians informally doing mathematics at a
blackboard or on a shared napkin or pad, and (b)
formally composing mathematical exposition in,
say, LaTeX supplemented by software technology
for diagrams (e.g., xy-pic and Xfig), then my
project is relevant solely to (a).  It seems to
me that both (a) and (b) are necessary for the Subject.

Imagine (a) a mathematics discussion forum with a
conversation like that on the categories
listserv,  except augmented by the ability to
draw and edit all kinds of mathematical
expressions and diagrams (it has been said that
"The Bourbaki were Puritans, and Puritans are
strongly opposed to pictorial representations of
truths of their faith."),  and (b) a Wiki-like
peer-generated-and-reviewed presentation of
research, report, and tutorial material
with  links back to the discussions, arguments,
and diagrams in (a).  All students of mathematics
should be allowed to visit the forum, perhaps
like a virtual Gallery of the Senate Chamber
combined with the MIT OpenCourseWare initiative.

( (i), (iv) )
Regarding feasibility of (a), last year I
sketched a possible algorithm intended to
address  basic issues of presence and
registration in a paper available at
http://distancedrawing.com/Napkin071215a.pdf .

A revision of that algorithm substitutes (1)
webcam USB technology for digital video camera
technology, and (2) the browser protocol for instant messaging.

Perhaps the AJAX design pattern called HTTP
Streaming -- a long-lived HTTP connection  with
each collaborator -- might be worth
investigating. A merging algorithm for  multiple
independently generated images to create a single
"virtual drawing" is described in the aforementioned paper.

The open source project I am proposing would
combine forum software like
http://www.yetanotherforum.net/ with webcam software.

( (ii), (iii) )
With regard to (b) there will be not only
development of computer technology, but also
development of mathematical technology. Someday
might there be something that is as much beyond
category theory as category theory is beyond Bourbaki?

Strictly speaking, the Subject and this project
are not about categories.  I wonder how you think
this discussion should be diverted to a separate
stream and joined just by those keenly interested in (i)-(iv).

Ellis

* Re: BourWiki-iBourbaki-FunctorWiki?
@ 2008-09-25 17:55 Andre Joyal
From: Andre Joyal @ 2008-09-25 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ellis D. Cooper, categories

Dear Ellis Cooper,

>Since this project entails substantial programming effort, I would
>like to measure the
>level of support the project could expect from the category-oriented
>research community.
>Your judgement is much appreciated.

In addition to the peoples who have expressed their support in public
many have done it privately. None have opposed it yet.
In a letter to some of my correspondants I wrote:

>The iBourbaki project is by nature a very long term project.
>Mathematics is vast, and it may take a few generations to fully integrate
>the main body of mathematics to iBourbaki.
>Also the potential contributors will refuse to work seriously
>on something that may disappear a few years later.
>They should have the possibility of making lasting contributions.
>Hence we should make sure that iBourbaki can last for more than one generation.
>It will be like building a cathedral!
>Of course, iBourbaki should evolve, since mathematics and the technology evolve.
>But mathematics is also remarquably stable.
>The mathematics of Euclid is still valid today, inspite of the
>fact that we now have non-euclidian geometry.
>I expect that the main corpus of iBourbaki will not change very much over long period of times.
>We need to conciliate long term duration with the rapid developpement of technology.

The realisation of iBourbaki depends on the collaboration of the mathematical community
in large, not only of category theorists. It also depends on the collaboration and support
of a group of computer scientists. My task at this point is to convince peoples that the
project is worthy and feasable.

André