categories - Category Theory list
From: "Andrej Bauer" <andrej.bauer@andrej.com>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Science Citation Index
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 08:07:44 +0100	[thread overview]

In many countries, Slovenia included, the SCI is used in a formal way
in government funding decisions, as well as in decisions about
promotions at our university. My colleagues and I in Ljubljana simply
must publish in journals that are on the SCI index, otherwise the
publication is hardly recognized at all ('8 points' for top half of
SCI versus '2 points' for being in Math Reviews). To add insult to
injury practically all journals on SCI are of the kind that steals our
work, funded by public money, and resells it back to the public.
Nobody is even attempting to explain to the government what the
problem is.

If anyone has a plan on how to break the grip, I would like to hear it.

So even if I wrote papers in category theory, I would/could not
publish them in TAC because it is not in SCI.

Best regards,

Andrej