categories - Category Theory list
From: Tim Porter <t.porter@bangor.ac.uk>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Science Citation Index
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 14:16:00 +0000	[thread overview]

On the subject of the ISI citation index, I wonder if what is being
done is consistent with anti-trust laws in the USA and with fair
competition laws in the EU. The refusal of Thomson's to accept
reputable journals and also to justify their refusal looks to me to be
suspect on legal grounds.  Does any one know of any legal challenges
to this.

It may be that the EMS and AMS should start a ridicularising campaign.
  Public money n many countries is going to a so-called service that
is not being performed at a professional level.

Tim

Quoting Joachim Kock <kock@mat.uab.cat>:

> Hello category theorists,
>
> just to report that in Spain, Thomson's Science Citation Index is now
> the main measure of quality of publication in mathematics: every report
> and application has to indicate impact factor(*) and citation count(**) of
> all one's papers -- and papers in journals not indexed (or in conference
> proceedings) simply don't count as papers!  As a concrete example, I
> received last year an evalutation from the Ministry of Science and
> Education explicitly telling me that I need to improve the number of
> papers published in indexed journals.
>
> (*) Impact factor is really a silly measure for quality: for example
> many learned societies distribute papers into several different journals
> only according to length but using otherwise the same criteria for
> acceptance, whereas those different journals can have very different
> impact factors in Thomson's index.  (It may interest some of you that
> the Elsevier journal CHAOS SOLITONS & FRACTALS edited by El Naschie has a
> higher impact factor than Annals of Mathematics.)
>
> (**) Of course the citation count is Thomson's count, which counts only
> citations from Thomson indexed papers, and even fails to identify
> preprint citations to papers later indexed.  (E.g. paper A cites preprint
> B.  When B is published in an indexed journal the citation from A does
> not count.)
>
> It has a very bad effect, especially on young researchers, who have to
> follow the rules of Thomson's and Ministry's game, and look up impact
> factors before choosing which journal to submit to, instead of following
> scientific criteria.
>

> Furthermore, access to Thomson's database is not free.  (The Spanish
> Ministry has paid access for all Spanish universities, instead of using
> that money to fund research.)  It is more than likely that Thomson is
> affiliated in some way with Elsevier and other publishing houses -- in
> any case they share the same goals of extracting money from science
> budgets -- and therefore free journals represent a threat, and it is not
> very likely that any free electronical journal will be included in
> Thomson's index.  It did happen with 'Geometry & Topology', though...
>
> I agree with George that it is important to get TAC and Cahiers into the
> AMS citation database.  This should be possible just by scientific
> reasons.  Before that happens I think there is not much hope to enter
> Thomson's index...
>
> The real problem is to convince science foundations and other funding
> agencies to boycott Thomson.  Just getting more and more good journals
> into Thomson's index is not going to help with that :-(
>
> Gettting the categories journals into the AMS citation database will
> help providing a strong alternative to Thomson.
>
> Cheers,
> Joachim.

> Joachim Kock <kock@mat.uab.cat>
> Departament de Matemàtiques -- Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
> [...]

Gall y neges e-bost hon, ac unrhyw atodiadau a anfonwyd gyda hi,
gynnwys deunydd cyfrinachol ac wedi eu bwriadu i'w defnyddio'n unig
gan y sawl y cawsant eu cyfeirio ato (atynt). Os ydych wedi derbyn y
neges e-bost hon trwy gamgymeriad, rhowch wybod i'r anfonwr ar
unwaith a dilëwch y neges. Os na fwriadwyd anfon y neges atoch chi,
rhaid i chi beidio â defnyddio, cadw neu ddatgelu unrhyw wybodaeth a
gynhwysir ynddi. Mae unrhyw farn neu safbwynt yn eiddo i'r sawl a'i
hanfonodd yn unig  ac nid yw o anghenraid yn cynrychioli barn
Prifysgol Bangor. Nid yw Prifysgol Bangor yn gwarantu
bod y neges e-bost hon neu unrhyw atodiadau yn rhydd rhag firysau neu
100% yn ddiogel. Oni bai fod hyn wedi ei ddatgan yn uniongyrchol yn
nhestun yr e-bost, nid bwriad y neges e-bost hon yw ffurfio contract
rhwymol - mae rhestr o lofnodwyr awdurdodedig ar gael o Swyddfa
Cyllid Prifysgol Bangor.  www.bangor.ac.uk

This email and any attachments may contain confidential material and
is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete this email.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you
must not use, retain or disclose any information contained in this
email.  Any views or opinions are solely those of the sender and do
not necessarily represent those of the Bangor University.
Bangor University does not guarantee that this email or
any attachments are free from viruses or 100% secure.  Unless
expressly stated in the body of the text of the email, this email is
not intended to form a binding contract - a list of authorised
signatories is available from the Bangor University Finance
Office.  www.bangor.ac.uk