categories - Category Theory list
From: Andrew Stacey <andrew.stacey@math.ntnu.no>
To: Ross Street <street@ics.mq.edu.au>, categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Bi-presheaves
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 09:19:07 +0100	[thread overview]

Ross,

Thanks for the information.  I'm not surprised to hear the name 'Isbell'
connected with this (nor Lawvere) as there are hints of this idea in 'Taking
Categories Seriously' where Lawvere talks about 'Isbell conjugation' (though
in Isbell conjugation one considers the categories of covariant and
contravariant functors as separate).  Looking up 'Isbell envelope' on
MathSciNet came up with nothing whilst 'Isbell conjugation' only came up with
two papers (one reviewed by you, I think!).  One is about 'total categories',
though I've yet to look at it to see if it is relevant.

When you say that you call it 'the Isbell envelope', what do you mean?  Is the
category the 'Isbell envelope of/on the original category' or are the objects
'Isbell envelopes' and we have the category of Isbell envelopes (in/on/of the
original category)?

Thanks for the quick reply,

Andrew