categories - Category Theory list
From: Meredith Gregory <lgreg.meredith@gmail.com>
To: Toby Bartels <toby+categories@ugcs.caltech.edu>, categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: naive questions about sets
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 18:07:12 -0700	[thread overview]

Toby,

Thanks for your note. A longer reply is forthcoming, but in regards to
notation, in CS-y conventions it is now standard to separate out the "free"
syntax from the relations. So, you're right, of course, that the * denotes a
list. (It originates from the Kleene operator.) The standard treatment is to
whack this down by what is called a structural equivalence relation. In this
case, you have something like

n1,n2 = n2,n1
n1,n1 = n1

for the structural relations. This is roughly equivalent to specifying
models as algebras, i.e. a free monad plus a a structure map. i find the
ghettoization of the CS notations -- which are extremely compact and well
aligned with category theoretic sensibilities -- to be a source of unending
frustration in communications with the larger mathematical communities. i
really need to write a tutorial.

Best wishes,

--greg

--