categories - Category Theory list
From: Marta Bunge <martabunge@hotmail.com>
To: <may@math.uchicago.edu>,  <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: RE: Monads
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 09:56:46 -0400	[thread overview]

Dear all,Something to corroborate MacLane's abhorrence of the word "triple" is, in my view, his refusal to communicate my first paper (Marta Bunge, Relative Functor Categories and Categories of Algebras, J.of Algebra 11 (1969) 64-101) unless I changed the word "triple" in it for that of "monad". In order to show my independence (!), yet wishing to have the paper published, I changed "triple" back to "standard construction". This he accepted without objections. Nowadays I use monads like everybody else. I have no idea which, among the many possible reasons suggested in categories, was MacLane's reason for insisting on "monads", whether philosophical or mathematical. However, his acceptance of my use of "standard construction" suggests that his dislike of "triple" was stronger than his preference for "monad". Cordial regards,Marta Bunge