categories - Category Theory list
From: Tom Leinster <tl@maths.gla.ac.uk>
To: Hugo.BACARD@unice.fr, categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Classifying Space...
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 20:25:21 +0100 (BST)	[thread overview]

Dear Hugo,

Your question involves the functors

       N           | |
Cat -----> SSet ------> Top

(nerve and geometric realization) and their composite, the classifying
space functor B.

1. The nerve functor N has a left adjoint, so in particular it preserves
finite products.  Hence if M is a monoid in Cat (i.e. a strict monoidal
category) then N(M) is, in a natural way, a monoid in SSet.

2. It's also true, though not totally obvious, that the geometric
realization functor | | preserves finite products.  So if X is a monoid
in SSet then |X| is a topological monoid.

3. Putting these together, if M is a strict monoidal category then its
classifying space B(M) is a topological monoid.

If M is a non-strict monoidal category then B(M) is not necessarily a
topological monoid in a natural way, but it is a "homotopy topological
monoid" in any of several accepted senses.  For instance, it is a
Delta-space in the sense of Segal, and an A_infinity-space in the sense of
Stasheff (although that doesn't deal satisfactorily with the unit).

Similarly, if M is a symmetric monoidal category then B(M) is a "homotopy
topological commutative monoid", e.g. a Gamma-space or an E_infinity
space.

Best wishes,
Tom