categories - Category Theory list
From: Steve Vickers <s.j.vickers@cs.bham.ac.uk>
To: David Espinosa <david@davidespinosa.net>, <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Axioms of elementary probability
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 16:34:07 +0100	[thread overview]

Dear David,

On structure: Domain L (say) just needs to be distributive lattice - not
Boolean algebra.

The axiom P(top) = 1 looks an obvious dual to P(bottom) = 0, but there's
a lot to be gained from considering P with codomain [0,infinity] and
forgetting P(top) = 1.

Maps P: L -> [0,infinity] satisfying P(0) = 0 and the third (modular)
law are called valuations - I believe this dates back to Birkhoff's book
on lattice theory. In the case where L is a frame (complete lattice,
with binary meet distributing over all joins) and P is Scott continuous,
P is called a continuous valuation. These have been studied in domain
theory (Jones, Plotkin: probabilistic power domain) and general locales
(including by Heckmann, by Coquand and Spitters and by myself).

More generally, the domain of P can fruitfully be any commutative monoid
M. There is a universal valuation L -> M(L) in this generalized sense,
with M(L) got by adjoining finite monoid structure to L and forcing the
two laws.

Coquand and Spitter cite an interesting construction of M(L) by Horn and
Tarski. Let L* be the set of finite lists over L, and define a preorder
on L* by

  [x_i]_{1 in I} <= [y_j]_{j in J}

if for every natural number k,

  \/{x_K | K subseteq I, |K| = k} <= \/{y_K' | K' subseteq J, |K'| = k}

where x_K = /\{x_i | i in K} etc.

Then M(L) is isomorphic to L*/(equ reln corresponding to <=).

The relations holding in M(L) are what can be proved from the theory.
You give a ternary inclusion-and-exclusion for P(A u B u C). If you
bring all the negative terms from right to left, it will still hold in
M(L), and can be generalized from ternary to n-ary. I think you will get
the dual (for P(A n B n C)) by considering L^op.

Another interesting relation, which can be used in proving the
Horn-Tarski result, is this:

   Sigma_{i = 0}^{n-1} x_i
      = Sigma_{k = 1}^{m} \/{x_I | I subseteq {0, ..., n-1}, |I| = k}

Regards,

Steve Vickers.