categories - Category Theory list
From: Zinovy Diskin <zdiskin@gsd.uwaterloo.ca>
To: Andre.Rodin@ens.fr, <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: sketch theory
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 20:18:08 -0400	[thread overview]

Let me make a few clarifying remarks

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 8:44 PM,  <Andre.Rodin@ens.fr> wrote:

> I came across this recent paper by Diskin&Wolter
>
> http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~zdiskin/Pubs/ACCAT-07.pdf
>
> where the authors propose a version of sketch-based syntax for Computer Science
> purposes. The main idea here (as far as I understood the paper) is to use
> sketches as arities of predicates. I heard about similar ideas from Rene
> Guitart in private conversations (but Rene's approach is algebraic rather than
> logical).

our version of sketches is intended for use in software engineering,
not only in computer science. The difference between them is like the
difference between, say, electrical engineering and physics.

Predicate arities may be objects of any a priori chosen good category,
e.g., sketches built in a previous step, but this is not the main
idea. Relation of Makkai's generalized sketches to classical sketches
is, roughly, like relation of a general first-order theory a la Tarski
to a particular family of theories like, e.g., lattice theory. The
former provide a general framework, in which the user can define any
theory she likes. The latter is a family of particular instantiations
of the framework. The fact that this family is expressive enough to
specify any structure is another story.

A first-order signature contains operation and predicate symbols.
Similarly, a generalized sketch signature may contain operation
symbols too (whose arities are In-Out spans). Definitions and some
details can be found in Report referenced as [6] in the paper above.

ZD

Looking at GBLS briefly I couldn't immediately grasp if your and