categories - Category Theory list
From: tholen@mathstat.yorku.ca
To: Michael Shulman <shulman@uchicago.edu>, categories@mta.ca,
Subject: Re: Famous unsolved problems in ordinary category theory
Date: Thu,  4 Jun 2009 21:53:10 -0400	[thread overview]

Finding the "right" questions and notions is certainly a prominent
theme in category theory, perhaps more prominently than in other
fields. Still, just like in other fields, solving open problems was
always part of the agenda. For example, half a century ago people asked
whether every "standard construction" (=monad) is induced by an
adjunction, and it took a few years to have two interesting answers.
And there is ceratinly a string of examples leading all the way to
today.

I don't know whether there are any >famous< unsolved problems in
ordinary category theory, but there are certainly non-trivial
questions. Here is one that we formulated in an article with Reinhard
B"orger (Can. J. Math 42 (1990) 213-229) two decades ago:

A category A is total (Street-Walters) if its Yoneda embedding A --->
Set^{A^{op}} has a left adjoint. Then
1. A has small colimits, and
2. any functor A-->B that preserves all existing colimits of A has a
right adjoint.
Do properties 1 and 2 imply totality for A?

I must admit that, after formulating the question we never considered
it again, so there may well be a known or quick answer. So don't hold
back please, especially since I plan to incorporate several questions
of this type in my CT09 talk.

Walter.