categories - Category Theory list
From: Steve Vickers <s.j.vickers@cs.bham.ac.uk>
To: Barney Hilken <b.hilken@ntlworld.com>, <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Triquotient assignments for geometric morphisms
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 11:40:49 +0100	[thread overview]

Dear Barney,

The weak triquotient assignments go along with the double powerlocale
monad PP, since a weak triquotient assignment for f: X -> Y is a map g:
Y -> PP(X) satisfying certain conditions that relate to the strength of
PP. I believe Townsend has published some work on this.

This is similar to how open maps go along with the lower powerlocale P_L
(see my "Locales are not pointless"), though with P_L it is made tighter
using an adjunction that is not available in the PP case, so the open
analogue of triquotient assignment, the map from Y to P_L(X), is
characterized uniquely.

For open maps we know of a trivial generalization to toposes: a
geometric morphism is open if its localic part is an open locale map.
You could probably play the same trick with triquotient assignments, and
 then I think your stability property follows from stability of the
hyperconnected-localic factorization.

However, there is also a more interesting generalization in the case of
open maps, got by generalizing P_L to the symmetric topos construction
M. (This is described in the Elephant, but also, in much more detail, in
the Bunge-Funk book "Singular coverings of toposes". See also my paper
"Cosheaves and connectedness in formal topology".) In fact, Bunge and
Funk have proved that for a locale X, P_L(X) is the localic reflection
of M(X). The relationship between P_L and open maps transfers to one
between M and locally connected geometric morphisms.

Since PP is the composite of (commuting) monads P_U and P_L, where P_U
is the upper powerlocale, one natural approach to a topos generalization
would be try also to generalize P_U.

This generalization seems to be missing in our current state of
knowledge, though I've had some thoughts about it and firmly believe
that it exists.

Regards,

Steve.