categories - Category Theory list
From: Ross Street <street@ics.mq.edu.au>
To: jim stasheff <jds@math.upenn.edu>, Categories list <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: question
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 12:14:59 +1000	[thread overview]

Jim:

I don't understand your context precisely. (I heard a talk the other
day where the speaker used "category" to mean "A_{infinity}-category"
without any explanation.) However I can tell a story which uses some
of the words you have.

Without the axiom of choice (such as in a topos), there are two
different conditions on a functor f : A --> X for it to be an
"equivalence":

1) there is a functor g : X --> A such that f g and g f are isomorphic
to identity functors; and,

2) f is full, faithful and essentially surjective on objects (this
last means each object of X is isomorphic to a value of f).

Clearly 1) implies 2). The converse holds when epis split (Ax Choice)
in the ambient world.

Stacks are designed not to see the difference between equivalences of
types 1) and 2); that is, if you hom out of an equivalence of type 2)
into a stack [for an appropriate topology], you get an equivalence of
type 1).

See old papers of Paré, Bunge, Joyal, . . .

Ross