categories - Category Theory list
From: Gaucher Philippe <Philippe.Gaucher@pps.jussieu.fr>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: 'Directed Algebraic Topology'
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 15:12:09 +0200	[thread overview]

Le mardi 22 septembre 2009 10:37:13, Marco Grandis a écrit :
> Dear Urs,
>
> There are various directed topological structures, which have
> directed homotopies
> and fundamental (higher) categories, like:
>
> - preordered topological spaces (simple but poor);
> - locally preordered topological spaces (in a suitable sense);
> - d-spaces = topological spaces equipped with distinguished paths;
> - spaces equipped with distinguished cubes;
> - cubical sets (in the combinatorial world);
> - generalised metric spaces (in the sense of Lawvere);
> - 'inequilogical spaces';
> - etc.
>
> I prefer d-spaces, which have also been studied by other authors.

Dear categorists,

Some remarks about topological and categorical models of directed algebraic
topology.

Indeed, d-spaces have a lot of interesting features as topological model since
i also work in a recent preprint with multipointed d-spaces (1) and i prove
that from a homotopical point of view, they are the topological version (in
the sense of concrete topological functors) of the category of flows (Or on the
contrary, the flows are a categorical version of multipointed d-spaces). I had
introduced them for studying branching and merging homology theories, which
require a specific feature of the topological model that d-spaces do not have.
This study can also be done with multipointed d-spaces in theory, but the
theory remains to be written (I am working on that...). I also have a model
structure on multipointed d-spaces preserving the homotopy type of path
spaces. I'd like to mention in this mail that I do not know how to prove that
it is left-proper and any idea would be really welcome.

Concerning cubical sets now. The usual degeneracy maps have no interest in
computer science. But they do not "disturb". On the contrary, there is a new
kind of degeneracy map that I call transverse degeneracy (2) which are of
interest in computer science. The symmetric transverse precubical sets  are
the only kind of precubical set such that the 1-dimensional coskeleton functor
is well-behaved from a computer science point of view (see (2)). The base
category \widehat{\square} appears also in the study of topological models of
concurrency. Roughly speaking, the space of morphisms from a topological m-
cube to a topological n-cube preserving the labelling will be always homotopy
equivalent to \widehat{\square}([m],[n]), if the m+n labels are the same (if
they are not the same, it will be homotopy equivalent to the subset
corresponding to maps preserving the labelling of course).

Precubical sets are enough to model all process algebras (3) but they are too
poor for a mathematical treatment, even in the combinatorial world. For
example, in the category of precubical sets, the labelled square corresponding
to the concurrent execution of a and b is not isomorphic to the labelled
square corresponding to the concurrent execution of b and a if a<>b !
Symmetric precubical sets are better (or less bad) because this drawback
disappears. Transverse symmetric precubical sets are even better but they are
more complicated to understand. I have an explicit combinatorial description
of the symmetric precubical set of labels. I do not have such a description
for the transverse symmetric precubical set of labels for example.
Symmetric precubical sets are also related to higher dimensional transition
systems in a non-trivial way: the latter can be identified to a full reflective
subcategory of the (labelled) former (4).

pg. http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~gaucher/

(1) Homotopical interpretation of globular complex by multipointed d-space
(preprint)
(2) Combinatorics of labelling in higher dimensional automata (preprint)
(3) Towards a homotopy theory of process algebra (HHA)
(4) Directed algebraic topology and higher dimensional transition system
(preprint)