categories - Category Theory list
From: "Joyal, André" <joyal.andre@uqam.ca>
To: <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: to PTJ
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 14:37:33 -0500	[thread overview]

Hi Peter,

>And, as someone (I forget who, but it may have been Mike Barr) pointed
>out long ago, one can (well, almost) define the variety of groups
>as the variety defined by a single binary operation satisfying a
>single equation; 1 < 3, but no sane group-theorist would do it
>that way.

I recall that Tarski is responsible for describing
the theory of groups with a single binary operation satisfying a
single equation. But dont have a reference with me.

A small point: the algebraic theory described by Tarski
admits the empty set as a model. Strictly speaking,
it is not equivalent to the theory of group.

Best,
André