categories - Category Theory list
* Examples for the Yoneda lemma
@ 2010-01-15  0:24 Hans-Peter Stricker
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Hans-Peter Stricker @ 2010-01-15  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hello,

I am looking for (simple) instructive examples for the Yoneda lemma, showing
how to get the "inner" structure of an object from its morphisms. I've been
told how to get a graph G from its morphisms (from the one-vertex-graph V to
G and the one-edge-graph E to G and the morphisms from V to E) and
appreciated this example a lot. Are there others equally simple and
enlightening?

What I wonder is which morphisms are definitely needed. In the graph example
it's the morphisms from V -> G, E -> G and V -> E? Can this be abstracted
and generalized?

Many thanks in advance

Hans-Stricker