categories - Category Theory list
From: Michael Shulman <shulman@uchicago.edu>
To: Toby Bartels <toby+categories@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Cc: categories@mta.ca, Richard Garner <rhgg2@hermes.cam.ac.uk>,
	 David Leduc <david.leduc6@googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: equality is beautiful
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 20:59:29 -0500	[thread overview]

To rephrase what Toby said: the construction of limits via products and
equalizers only works for limits over a domain category which has a
set(oid) of objects (what Toby calls a "strict category"), whether that
set is large or small.  Of course, it also only works when the products
and equalizers exist; a particular limit may exist without the relevant
products and equalizers existing.

It is true that we are most interested in limits over small strict
categories, but there are many limits over large categories that do
exist and are occasionally useful.  For instance, every object X of a
category C is the limit of the identity functor C --> C weighted by the
representable weight hom_C(X,-), whether or not C is small or strict.
Of course, by Freyd's theorem, a large category cannot have large
*products* unless it is a preorder, so one shouldn't expect to be able
to construct such large limits via products and equalizers.  This
matches quite nicely with the type-theoretic philosophy, according to
which the large categories which arise in nature are rarely strict, so
that it wouldn't even make sense to ask for the relevant products and
equalizers.

Mike