categories - Category Theory list
From: David Roberts <droberts@maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To: Mark Spezzano <mark.spezzano@chariot.net.au>
Subject: Re: Are there exactly 11 categories with 3 arrows?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:15:20 +1030	[thread overview]

Hi Mark,

Let us phrase the question as:

Given three sets, {a},{b,c},{d,e,f}, how many categories are there
with one of these sets as its set of objects and exactly three arrows?
(any other set of objects is disallowed, as you pointed out)

This is to remove questions of 'up to equivalence' because
technically, there are an infinite number of categories with three
arrows, and taking categories up to equivalence will, I think, give
too few for your liking (for example, in my list of four categories
with two objects, we would only get two categories).

Here's a start: there are two categories b -> c, c -> b (omitting
identity arrows) with no non-trivial isomorphisms, and two categories
Z/2 \sqcup {*} where * is one of b or c, and the other is the identity
element of Z/2. Given your unique category with three elements this
brings us to five categories. Then there is Z/3 (with identity element
a), giving us six.

What other categories with three arrows have you identified? They
will, I imagine, have two objects.

David